Respected Contributor

Re: Cheap things in Vegas?????

Avoid the strip, eat at places far away from there. I know the strip is where the action is, but just gamble there.

Trusted Contributor

I live in Vegas and agree it is very expensive. I never go to the strip, especially now that you have to pay to park. 

There are great shows at the Smith Center. If you have set dates you can see what will be playing while you are in town. It is not too far from Fremont. It is a beautiful theater. 

I have seen American Idiot. Book of Mormon and quite a few other shows. 

There re are some really great local restaurants as well. With affordable prices and outstanding food. St George is about an hour and a half away. It is beautiful there. 

Mesquite NV is also not far. Red Rock. Mt Charleston. 

If if you want some local restaurant recommendations please let me know.  

Have a great time.  

Oh use Groupon and living social.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Agree with @lenapecci.  If you have a car, St. George is an easy trip.  Go to Zion National Park.  It is stunning. Hoover Dam and Lake Meade are so worth seeing, too.  

Trusted Contributor

I was at a conference in Vegas at this time last year and stayed at the Bellagio. Beautiful hotel!  I didn't have time to do much, but, the gardens, pool area and fountain at the hotel were so nice.  The pic of the fountain show below was taken from my room at night.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to mention:  if you watch Pawn Stars the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop is interesting and free but you might have to wait in line to get in.

Respected Contributor

DH surprised me with a Valentine's Day gift of a trip to Vegas.  We saw Elton John and the House of Blues Gospel Brunch along with shopping on the strip.  Yes, it was expensive but since I won't be back for a while, it was money well spent.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

We haven't been to Vegas in 10 years.  Even then there was nothing at that was inexpensive or even affordable.  Which is why we haven't been back in 10 years. 

Valued Contributor

Just got back from Vegas last night.  I agree with everything said above. We stayed at the Flamingo and walked everywhere. We were able to see the Volcano at Mirage, the Bellagio Fountains and the Conservatory. We found that we spent a minumum of $50 for meals. Breakfast & Lunch buffets are an average of $20 but that does include your drinks. More if you have a cocktail.  

If you're going to the NASCAR race, make sure you go to the NASCAR Fan experience. That's amazing. We've gone to that at the NASCAR race in Charlotte, NC.  Granted it's a lot of vendors hawking their goods, but there are a lot of freebies that they give out. And if you go the day before, it's even better and not as crowded.  

I heard about the parking rates. It only made sense. It was free for so long and now with the new T-mobile arena there they don't want to give it away any more.

We go to Vegas every year and this was early for us. We'll return again in late summer or early fall.  We did the Pawn Stars store one year == meh. Nothing to write home about.  Enjoy!!!

Helen852
Trusted Contributor

Free:  Ethel M. Chocolate Factory and Gardens in Henderson, Sam's Town Mystic Falls Park, Laser & Light Show;  Container Park (LV).   World of Coca Cola Museum (on Strip); M & M Factory (Strip); Elevator up Eiffel Tower (Strip).  I've lived in the LV area for 15 years.  I like visiting the Forums's Shops at Caesar's -- free show inside.

Honored Contributor

Last time we were out there, we drove out to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead.