Esteemed Contributor

Re: Charities that send "gifts" to elicit donations

I don't send them any money but, I keep & use the "gifts" ... I didn't ask for the "gifts" so I don't feel obligated to send any money!! 😄

Honored Contributor

Years ago there was a column by Ann Landers where someone asked her whether it was right to keep notepads etc from charities that solicit for donations. She said it was so I always remember that.

I get a lot of small gifts from St. Jude's and I don't really mind. It's a good reminder to me to donate for those precious children. Instead of another lipstick which seem to be now over thirty dollars, I can use that money for a child and feel the money was well spent...

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

Your contact info will eventually fall off their radar if you don't donate-   I would continue to contribute only to the causes that mean something to you!

Eventually?  I wish I could believe that.

My mom felt obligated to send something to everyone.  She couldn't afford it.

When her mind began to fail and I took over her affairs...her mailing address was changed to my house.

That was 5 years ago....I never sent a penny to any of them and we STILL receive them daily.

She is deceased now but the junk mail keeps coming.  Post Office said Return to Sender will not work due to the class of bulk mailing they use.

I have returned their form and marked it deceased (if it has a postage paid envelope).  Doesn't help.

These are generated from Marketing Firms who are paid...NOT the Charity.  They are hired.  The marketing firm assumes someone is getting the mail...and MIGHT send something.

In many cases, less than 3% of your donation EVER makes it to the charity...and many Non-Profits have CEO making 6 digits.

Sad waste of paper and funding in my opinion.

@RespectLife  This happened to me, too.  Here's how I stopped it:  

Go to their website and via "contact us" send an Email (and save for future documentation) explaining your mother is deceased  (this might be important later) and ask them to please stop sending mail for her to your house.  

You'll most likely receive a standard form reply saying they will remove the name from their mailing list but asking you to please be patient as it may take a few mailings for it to take effect.  If the mailings do not stop (and, unfortunately, they probably will not), send another Email off the first one warning that their persistence in sending mail to your deceased mother is tantamount to mental and emotional harassment, causing you anguish and that you are considering filing a law suit.  It worked like a charm every time for me.    

@RespectLife@You should be able to go the Direct Marketing Association website and looking for a link for how to remove a dead person from mailing lists.   If you can't find it @  me and I will try to help 

@jackthebear

@IamMrsG

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I found this website to put your self on the remove list....

http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist/

However, they want to charge $5 to do it online!  Zeesh!  Are ya kidding me?  A fee?  LOL

I couldn't find anything particular for deceased persons.

Thanks anyways...not giving them money....will just continue to shake my head and toss it in the trash.

An annoying part of today's culture, I suppose!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@RespectLife@You should be able to go the Direct Marketing Association website and looking for a link for how to remove a dead person from mailing lists.   If you can't find it @  me and I will try to help 

@jackthebear

@IamMrsG

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I found this website to put your self on the remove list....

http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist/

However, they want to charge $5 to do it online!  Zeesh!  Are ya kidding me?  A fee?  LOL

I couldn't find anything particular for deceased persons.

Thanks anyways...not giving them money....will just continue to shake my head and toss it in the trash.

An annoying part of today's culture, I suppose!

i googled this   dma consumer dead

@RespectLife  https://dmachoice.thedma.org/static/faq.php   faq No 9 by mail HTH

Honored Contributor

https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/ddnc.php

another link to remove dead persons names

Esteemed Contributor

I would have to live to 500 at least to use all the address labels. As far as calls they come almost everyday. They have my name now for I changed at banks and utilites. And catalogs-- the poor mail lady. If you order from one or on line you get more you never heard of.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear

Thank you so much for your time in providing this info!

Greatly appreciate it.

I apologize I didn't find it myself!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear

Thank you so much for your time in providing this info!

Greatly appreciate it.

I apologize I didn't find it myself!

@RespectLife  you are welcome, :-)   it was hidden there and then I wanted to see if they got rid of it. 

Sometimes if you put the words into google it will spit back what you want

Esteemed Contributor

Our city government posted this link on their website to stop unwanted junk mail.  It's free.  

Catalog Choice

https://www.catalogchoice.org/

Esteemed Contributor

I am settling an estate for a retired Air Force colonel who was an oral surgeon. Didn't know him, I was court appointed. He was a huge donor and magazine subscriber. I cancelled all his mags and received $2,000 in refunds for the estate, shocking. I printed "Deceased, please remove from mailing list" and returned for over a hundred charities' solicitations. It didn't seem to do much good. Even after three tries with some orgs. So, I now just put their requests in the recycle bin. If they contain "gifts," I either donate, use, share with friends or recycle. And I don't feel one bit guilty.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop