Honored Contributor

Re: Charities that ask you to send solicitation letters out under your name

A neighbor of mine does this for one of the charities.  I've always mailed back a donation.  This past year, the check was never cashed.  Not sure what that's all about, but probably won't participate this year.  I have plenty of other charities that I dontate to anyway.

Respected Contributor

I got extra envelopes in a solicitation letter asking me to do this.  I sent my donation along with a letter telling them basically what you told the person over the phone. 

The problem I have with this - we all have known someone who, every time they see you they are always collecting for a charity OR have a home business selling for any one of the MLM companies out there.  I don't need candles, makeup, kitchen gadgets, jewelry, etc and if I do, I know where to find it on my own and get it much cheaper.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a scam to me. Most of this money must line their pockets instead of actually helping charities. Throw these away if someone gives you on or mails you one. Donate to Charities where the money is actually used for the cause instead of lining pockets. I like St. Jude's Hospital or Salvation Army where the money goes to help people. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a neighbor (don't know) put an envelope/stamp in my mailbox, for their charity,

ot: I m getting many calls for charities (for a few months now).

Honored Contributor

I get these calls, probably not as mich as I used to but a couple of ogrs still phone me to do this.  Even though I decline, a couple of weeks later the package shows up in my mailbox.

It totally baffles me the budget these types of orgs have to send out a huge mailing like this to people (like me) to solicit money from neighbors on the org's behalf.  If they spnt 1/4 of this printing & mailing budget they could easily support themselves and wouldn't be sending this paperwork to us.

I don't give to charities anymore - I used to give to a lot of them (more when I had a fulltime job). Then I pared down to a very few of what was really important to me.  Now, I don't give to anybody's cause.

And there is NO way I'd be buying stamps and mailing out solicitation envelopes for others to send money back to me for some cause.  That's just rude.  Years ago when I got these kits, I'd pay the minimum they indicated on their return form but I don't do this anymore either.

Honored Contributor

my mother has done this type of mailing for the MARCH OF DIMES every year, once a year, for probably 20+ years. my kids used to help her address and stamp the envelopes when they were younger. she gets about 6 or 7 envelopes back with contributions and then sends in the entire packet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I was asked to canvas my neighbors and I did it once.I felt horrible about it and only got one donation other than my own.The neighbor made a very large contribution and do ever after I was hounded to do it again.

Trusted Contributor

Check out charity navigator. org and you will see exactly how much the charity is receiving, administrative costs, fundraising figures, salary of the CEO, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I think that is just terrible.   It would certainly color my opinion about that particular charity in an extremely negative way.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@henderson

Thank you for the website information.

We give to charities that are near and dear to our hearts.

I agree that the gifts etc. that are sent out with letters are a waste of money that could be spent wisely in another way.