Trusted Contributor

Re: Changed my mind about forum choices

@MG Chris wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I will not go over there.  I wonder how secure they are.  This one I have someone to complain to with monitors 24/7 LOL checking my every word. 

This has been discussed ad nauseum. 

There seems to be so much confusion with how forums operate, and how secure they are, and what the rules are, and so on. 

It's enough to make your head spin...

I'll see if I can help sort it out, without making it more confusing for anyone! Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

When you post anywhere, your personal info. is made secure on that website.

If you're asked for a birthdate, it's because you need to be at least 13 years old by law to post on a forum in the U.S.

What can seem confusing is that although some forums lock their personal information, their forum status is public, meaning anyone can openly read the posts on the forum.

However, you still have to join to reply. No one can see anyone's personal information.

If you do an Internet search for that forum, you may see it come up in a search. Member's usernames will also come up in the search, but no ones' personal information will come up in the search.

Some public forums may lock parts of their forums and may keep sections of them private so that members have certain areas that they can go to that non-members can't see. 

Private forums keep everything locked to people who are non-members. You have to join to be able to see what's on/in the forum.

If you're asked for an e-mail from a private forum, it's usually so that you can be alerted when you receive a reply to your posts from other members, or from a private message from another member on the forum.

Sometimes you'll also receive an e-mail message from the forum host itself--whomever is hosting the site--when they have information that they want to share with you as well.

This is common with many different forum sites--that they use e-mails to do this.

The best thing that you can do is to become familiar with all rules and forum guidelines from the forum that you're at, and if you don't understand something, ask your Moderators to help you to understand. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of a sudden, people are so concerned about security here at QVC. Google your nic and you will see most of everything. It's not your real name.

I just don't understand it. People are trying to scare the Posters here by saying that the Forums on the other side are safe. No one will show up at your door. Oh we're Private. Maybe I'm just different. Yes I am.

I was angry because I ran and registered on the Proboards. That's not me. It was like the World was coming to any end so I had to join everyone just to be safe. It didn't work because I came to my senses.

I'll stay here until QVC ends the Forums and I will still SHOP. I'm on FB with Family and friends, Whattsapp and Messenger and they keep me so busy. I love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bonnielu    I think it's ludicrous to worry about security over there when this board is wide open for anyone in the world to read it.  There's nothing posted on that board that anyone would want to steal. Nobody has your name, email or age and there's no credit card info like there is here. 

Several people have been participants there for years and report never having a problem or knowing of one. 

Hi @Kachina624  Not concerned about security and it's a nice looking site.  I am having as tough time figuring it all out (duh)  I need to take a couple of hours and figure it out so I can post on both.  Reading but not posting yet.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

All of a sudden, people are so concerned about security here at QVC. Google your nic and you will see most of everything. It's not your real name.

I just don't understand it. People are trying to scare the Posters here by saying that the Forums on the other side are safe. No one will show up at your door. Oh we're Private. Maybe I'm just different. Yes I am.

I was angry because I run and registered on the Proboards. That's not me. It was like the World was coming to any end so I had to join everyone just to be safe. It didn't work because I came to my senses.

I'll stay here until QVC ends the Forums and I will still SHOP. I'm on FB with Family and friends, Whattsapp and Messenger and they keep me so busy. I love it.

@Sage04 Thank you. Your post is the BEST post about all this craziness. I am here to read, learn about things I am interested in, share when I can and lots of shopping!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One thing I learned many years ago, "Never Say Never" because I often changed my mind...and never make hasty or emotional decisions when I'm angry, sad, or upset.  They often turned out to be wrong. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand the anger.

I don't understand all the security concerns.  I'm sure QVC's website is as secure as others that use credit cards. Does anyone really think credit card banks would be OK with insecure websites?  

The Forum is on the same website.  Has anyone had or heard of security problems here?

I know little about ProBoards, but I'd expect security there, as well. How much, I don't know.  

Regardless of how much security a website has, every one can be hacked, Facebook in 2019, Amazon's Twitch Oct 2021, for example, so for those concerned, don't use the internet or get something like Norton 360 with LifeLock.

Esteemed Contributor

The one thing that I am absolutely certain of is no Facebook (for me.)

Beyond that I remain flexible and open to all options. 

Valued Contributor

I have kind of been out of the loop.  How do I go about joining the Proboard?  

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bonnielu    I think it's ludicrous to worry about security over there when this board is wide open for anyone in the world to read it.  There's nothing posted on that board that anyone would want to steal. Nobody has your name, email or age and there's no credit card info like there is here. 

Several people have been participants there for years and report never having a problem or knowing of one. 

Hi @Kachina624  Not concerned about security and it's a nice looking site.  I am having as tough time figuring it all out (duh)  I need to take a couple of hours and figure it out so I can post on both.  Reading but not posting yet.

@mspatmac -- I have been on that forum since they started it and I'm sure you will be OK.  There is a learning curve but it's a lot like this format and everyone is helping each other.  I don't post that much but it's all coming together.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  I agree.  Nothing is"safe" look at the credit monitoring company that got hacked along with banks.  Just getting mail you are at risk.   This forum if you google it will come up on the internet showing your forum name.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have my credit info here (just put it in online if I order). I don't see where PorBoards even asked for credit info.

I don't like that that the other site says "I'm online" when just reading posts. That doesn't say "private" to me, but in a different way. I often go through and just read here without posting. It isn't necessary to be announced.