Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Lucky charm wrote:

Am I understanding this right?  That workers must remove the decomposed bodies from the (cheap) caskets and bag them to store them elsewhere?

Ugh.  Something about the 'remains' being removed from a casket just seems so disrespectful.  Maybe that's not the right word. 

yes, they do have to be removed from the casket, but the decomposed bodies are then placed in a bag and are then placed back in the grave/mausoleum/crypt. problems can arise when a city has a high water table and a casket can easily "float back up" to the top of the grave again, even if it is weighted down.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've been on what was called a ghost tour in Williamsburg, Va. Not my idea but it was pretty interesting. It was more historical than anything. Not at all scary and not in a graveyard.

Respected Contributor

Not really a fan. I have family buried in a cemetary famous for a movie.  Every year, people dress up as zombies and go take pictures and run though there. I admit, I think it's disrespectful and it bugs me. 

Trusted Contributor

I've toured cemeteries of historical significance and found it moving.

I do not agree with touring cemeteries because they are said to be haunted.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

They do these locally at Halloween time (Rochester NY).  Lots of local history involving murder and scandal.

Is that at Mount Hope Cemetery?  I have relatives in Rochester  (but none at Mount Hope Smiley Happy).

Respected Contributor

Very interesting!!!!

Honored Contributor

Our local cemetery has done this several times, and it is so rich in local history. It is really fun and educational to go to, and even though they repeat many of the same people year after year (adding a few new ones, deleting others) we love to go and see this. 

Here it is done around Memorial Day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cemetery Tours

[ Edited ]

Something I haven't thought about.  Don't recall seeing any tour buses or walking tours, so far. But, 'Never Say Never'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).