Super Contributor

I've noticed a number of local cemetery tours being conducted this year in our local area. They have local actors playing parts of prominent people and their families who are buried there.  Our are produced by the historical societies.

Do they do these anywhere else?  Google shows they occur in New Orleans and Hollywood.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to a New Orleans cemetery (tour).....didn't know it was included in a normal bus see-the-sites day trip - but there I was.....it was a little grusome in that they explain how a deceased 'uses' a burial plot for ONE year......then it's 'cleaned' out and somebody else gets it for ONE year.

(workers were there 'cleaning out' a time-out plot and they didn't seem too happy with all the bus riders watching them)

The reason for this policy:  high water table and limited cemetery space.

No actors like you noted.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

......then it's 'cleaned' out and somebody else gets it for ONE year.

What happens to the bodies after one year?  Cremated?

Honored Contributor

here is some information regarding the lafayette cemetary in louisiana. the bodies are generally not removed from the tomb, but are removed from the coffin and placed back into the tomb (usually in a special bag). the cemetaries in and around new orleans are a sight to see. i never took a specific tour, but have been a number of times. they are a must see part of new orleans and louisiana. they are also called "cities of the dead."

Once a coffin or casket is placed into a tomb or other interment vehicle, it is sealed with brick and mortar or covered with soil. In the case of our vaults and family tombs, this is merely the process of laying a simple brick "wall" before the vault entrance. After the minimum period has gone by, (usually "one year and one day", based upon Judeo-Christian mourning rituals, although periods may vary as per the requirements of families or individual cemetery authorities, etc.), the vehicle may be re-used, if needed, by simply removing the seal, separating the human remains from what is left of the casket , and replacing the remains back into the tomb (either pushed to the rear of the vault, or placed in the bottom). The casket is simply disposed of, so for that reason this burial style doesn't usually require the use of expensive caskets. Of course, this doesn't take place in the presence of the family who are attending the funeral while this phase of the procedure is performed, and it is always performed in a respectful manner.

http://www.lafayettecemetery.org/burial-styles-traditions

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

So glad I have chosen cremation. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Am I understanding this right?  That workers must remove the decomposed bodies from the (cheap) caskets and bag them to store them elsewhere?

Ugh.  Something about the 'remains' being removed from a casket just seems so disrespectful.  Maybe that's not the right word. 

Respected Contributor

They do these locally at Halloween time (Rochester NY).  Lots of local history involving murder and scandal.

Have also gone on a cemetary tour in NewOrleans.  Their cemetaries are very unique, and worth seeing.  They have tours year round.

Have also gone on ghost tours around the city (Gettisburg). 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Never heard of such a thing. Not interested in doing such a thing either.

Valued Contributor

In Buffalo they do have tours either a walking tour or a trolly type vehicle; and at the Holidays they also have a short program performed by the 'residents of the cemetary'.   We have done both. The tour is a lot of fun. It gives the history of the cemetary and is more historical and architectural.  We were surprised at the people who are actually interred there. One for example is Rick James; his tombstone is a guitar! Another one is the woman who influenced Flag Day.  

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

I believe that Forest Lawn in the Los Angeles Area offers tours year-round.  Now that the Halloween Season has started, there's lots of things like that offered.  Ghost Walk in Santa Paula is a yearly event and so are the haunted houses or Spooky Buildings, etc. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust