Respected Contributor

more airlines join delta

American Airlines AAL, +2.47%   says it’s joining U.S. carriers Delta Air Lines DAL, +1.36%   and United Airlines UAL, +1.08%   in banning hunting trophies from baggage if they are from endangered species. This comes as worldwide outrage over the killing of Cecil the Lion, Zimbabwe’s most famous big cat, by a Minneapolis dentist last month shows no sign of abating.

Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines said in a tweet Tuesday that “effective immediately” the airline would not transport buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, or rhino trophies, known as the “Africa Big Five,” which are prized by international trophy hunters, who often spend hundreds of thousands of dollars traveling, hunting and transporting big game trophies like Cecil the Lion as sport.

Delta Air Lines, the biggest U.S. airline by volume, was the first U.S. airline to ban the practice on Monday, after earlier this year siding with hunters and agreeing to continue carrying the trophies.

They were followed the same day by Chicago-based United Airlines, according to Bloomberg News.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/delta-air-lines-bans-animal-hunting-trophies-after-cecil-the-lion-s...

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cecil the Lion

[ Edited ]

Bravo. I read about this this morning in connection with Air Canada. I think other airlines will be following suit. The unknown at this time is whether they will also ban "trophies" as freight from within the Country e.g. deer horns, black bear etc.

ETA. As of now American and United Airlines are also doing this.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

This is strange.  There has been quite a bit of activity in the last few days on this particular thread, but I have just noticed that on 8/4 between 8:45 a.m. and 7:29 p.m. all posts have "disappeared".   I wonder why - or maybe I'm going crazy.  I posted this morning and my post was definitely there but it is now gone and I didn't say anything in the least bit controversial.  I think it is such a shame these posts are gone because this is a subject very dear to people's hearts and it is a place where they can perhaps feel better after some discussion.

Honored Contributor

@Fona  In case you haven't looked there yet again today, I see a post of yours from this morning on the Photo of Jericho thread.  

That one is at this moment on the second page of threads under Community Chat and is shorter than this thread.  Not gone, just on another page right now.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.