Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

It's not really dominating the news any more.  I highly doubt we will be shipping the dentist over there so it appears to be winding down.........

This story should be winding down. Enough already.

No one is forced to read or participate in threads about Cecil.  Why bother to comment if you are sick of the subject?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this topic.  I do feel bad about Cecil but the dentitst didn't know the lion was beloved.  His local guide is the one who should take responsibility.  I am thoroughly against all the trophy hunting.  However, in that country they allow the hunting because Americans pay thousands of dollars to do it. 

The other thing is that a lot of lions are killed every year so why was this one so famous, becuase the lion had a name?  In my part of PA we have hundreds of cute deer that run wild and they are allowed to be killed and no one questions it.  If we gave each deer a name would it make a difference? 

The dentist wanted a rare lion, Cecil was an African black maned lion...the guides knew and he knew...the gps was readily visible during the 40 hours he suffered when they tracked him; Cecil could have been saved...as in any cause, you put a face and a story associated with a disease....Katie Couric, colon cancer, Angelina Jolie, breast/ovarian cancer, Betty Ford, addiction....the list goes on....Cecil, killing of a protected animal for sport.  No one minimizes the death of any lion but Cecil had a name, story and brings awareness to the cause.  

Honored Contributor

Greenhouse, excellent post - one of the best I've ever read here.

Honored Contributor

Well ,i do not think so,and i wish someone would ship the people away,that does this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Thank you Pearlee!   I have been to Africa and walked with these beautiful creatures and the saddest part, these lions though not tame trust humans.  

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

...and the saddest part, these lions though not tame trust humans.  

Sadly, in way too many cases, a fatal mistake.

The photo of the female hunter with that giraffe was sickening.  The giraffe's face, even in death, looked sweet and trusting, making the photo all that much more horrifying.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

It's not really dominating the news any more.  I highly doubt we will be shipping the dentist over there so it appears to be winding down.........

No one is forced to read or participate in threads about Cecil.  Why bother to comment if you are sick of the subject?

@NoelSeven

I agree. The name Cecil is clearly in the titles of the threads and it takes a split second to pass by the thread, less time than it takes to start a thread complaing about them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Why? Because that's your opinion? Obviously, many people, both here and around the globe, don't agree with you.

Like the Rolling Stones said, "You can't always get what you want."

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cecil overload........

[ Edited ]

I've just finished reading this thread in its entirety. I have one main question that is admittedly rhetorical: Why did the OP start a thread bemoaning all the attention that has been paid to the killing of this lion?

First, if she wanted to tamp it down, starting yet another thread is a sure way to keep it going.

But that's not what's really going on here. I've seen it from the beginning with so many who just simply don't get it. They really, honestly don't seem to care. I sense that some believe that humans have dominion over all else. And some seem to make this into a business/profit discussion, even if their logic is less than impeccable.

In many ways, this debate mirrors so many of the political clashes we're enduring these days. Sad that we can't even agree on the importance of maintaining ALL species, if not just for morality's sake but also for our environment, which is a delicate balance among humans and all creatures.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Really - it is sad that you don't grasp the importance of this story and I am happy that many others do.