Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@Pook wrote:

This is a very important issue and there will always be seemingly more important issues but that doesn't make it a real issue that needs to be dealt with and not ignored and swept under the rug.  This is definitely something that needs corrected and for those that think it's just aboaut Cecil then they just don't get it!!  "Trophy" hunting is very wrong and needs to be stopped not only because it will lead to the further decrease and possible extinction of certain animals that are already on their way to it but also because the thought that it is ok to kill any animal for the thrill of it!!!   How barbaric and uncompassionate is that and anyone who could do this surely couldn't care about his fellow man. What happens when the thrill of killing an animal that is set in front of them to kill is over? 

Here's something else to think about--the jobs in these poor countries!  How arrogant are we to focus on this day after day while an entire continent laughs at us?  

Like me it or not, trophy hunting provides a lot of income to these countries.  The West decided that DDT wouldn't be allowed to be made, and over 25 million are dead.  We may not know best.

No its been proven that vast amount of dollars spent on trophy hunting goes to the corrupt governments that are looking the other way.  That to is a western misnomer that these poor people are making $$ off of the trophy hunting.

Valued Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

I guess you're right.  We should return to talking about more important things like jewelry.

GOOD ONE! THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!

Mean spirited comment.  The OP wasn't talking about jewelry. There ARE lot of MORE important issues going on in our country right now.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

I guess you're right.  We should return to talking about more important things like jewelry.

Mean spirited comment.  The OP wasn't talking about jewelry. There ARE lot of MORE important issues going on in our country right now.

So MANY issues are interconnected.  Even jewelry leads to the issues of "blood" diamonds, and poor working conditions, and more.  Our world has never been as simple as tackling one issue at a time.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cecil overload........

[ Edited ]

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@Pook wrote:

This is a very important issue and there will always be seemingly more important issues but that doesn't make it a real issue that needs to be dealt with and not ignored and swept under the rug.  This is definitely something that needs corrected and for those that think it's just aboaut Cecil then they just don't get it!!  "Trophy" hunting is very wrong and needs to be stopped not only because it will lead to the further decrease and possible extinction of certain animals that are already on their way to it but also because the thought that it is ok to kill any animal for the thrill of it!!!   How barbaric and uncompassionate is that and anyone who could do this surely couldn't care about his fellow man. What happens when the thrill of killing an animal that is set in front of them to kill is over? 

Here's something else to think about--the jobs in these poor countries!  How arrogant are we to focus on this day after day while an entire continent laughs at us?  

Like me it or not, trophy hunting provides a lot of income to these countries.  The West decided that DDT wouldn't be allowed to be made, and over 25 million are dead.  We may not know best.

So you think no one on that continent shares the concerns of those who are trying to protect these animals (and others) from extinction?  Who are trying to stop illegal poaching?  You'd be wrong.

And you think the banning of DDT was wrong?  That it was responsible for the death of "over 25 million"??? 

I'd like to know where you got your facts from.  The world would be much worse off had DDT not been banned and it doesn't take much research to prove that point.  (Really not sure how you made the connection between DDT and 25 million deaths!  Maybe you could read "Silent Spring".)

(ETA:  I had already addressed the issue of the economic impact of the banning of trophy hunting on these countries in an earlier post, so please don't accuse us all of being "arrogant".   Not all of us who want to see this stopped have no concern for the livelihood of the people on that or any other continent.)

Valued Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

It's not really dominating the news any more.  I highly doubt we will be shipping the dentist over there so it appears to be winding down.........

This story should be winding down. Enough already.

Respected Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

How is that mean spirited?

The OP is objecting to anymore discussion of Cecil. As if we should move on and forget about the horrific act and discuss Jewelry or something equally as banal.

FYI, a lot of us can multi-task on important issues without getting upset that one event is taking presedence over another.

Esteemed Contributor

esmeraldagooch wrote:

Tops what and who's list?

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

It's not really dominating the news any more.  I highly doubt we will be shipping the dentist over there so it appears to be winding down.........

Why post on this thread  if it bothers you so much that you have to make rude comments about it?

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Why post on this thread  if it bothers you so much that you have to make rude comments about it?

You beat me to it.  I was going to suggest the poster ignore this thread (which is specific by its title) and feel free to read any of the other multitude of threads.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

We can talk about more than one important issue at a time.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices