Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The one good that might come out of what I consider hysteria over Cecil could be an end to trophy hunting for engangered or nearly endangered speciues.

Of course, there's a huge cost to this because the trophy hunters were willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to hunt, so I hope those who signed the petitions will also contribute big dollars EVERY YEAR to provide for the people living near the animals and the local guides, etc. becaise the easy money for preservation will be gone along with the hunting itself.

It's not one of my personal causes and I will not be donating -  I wish those who circulated the petitions had charged at least $50 to each signer -  then we might know who is really committed.

You may be surprised at how many people (including myself) DO donate to animal rights causes, as well as human rights causes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Re: Cecil overload........

[ Edited ]

Hello Posters,

Please keep to the original topic going forward and refrain from posting controversial content that might derail the thread. 

-Brittany 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this topic.  I do feel bad about Cecil but the dentitst didn't know the lion was beloved.  His local guide is the one who should take responsibility.  I am thoroughly against all the trophy hunting.  However, in that country they allow the hunting because Americans pay thousands of dollars to do it. 

The other thing is that a lot of lions are killed every year so why was this one so famous, becuase the lion had a name?  In my part of PA we have hundreds of cute deer that run wild and they are allowed to be killed and no one questions it.  If we gave each deer a name would it make a difference? 

In Pa , we have over a million deer just in our state. There are less than 30,000 lions left in the world. 

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The one good that might come out of what I consider hysteria over Cecil could be an end to trophy hunting for engangered or nearly endangered speciues.

Of course, there's a huge cost to this because the trophy hunters were willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to hunt, so I hope those who signed the petitions will also contribute big dollars EVERY YEAR to provide for the people living near the animals and the local guides, etc. becaise the easy money for preservation will be gone along with the hunting itself.

It's not one of my personal causes and I will not be donating -  I wish those who circulated the petitions had charged at least $50 to each signer -  then we might know who is really committed.

The money trophy hunters pay to local guides lines the pockets of those guides.  Somehow, I don't picture those guides using their ill gotten $$ for humanitarian purposes.  The guides did something illegal in luring Cecil out of the sanctuary.  So, using your logic, should everyone send money to Columbia every time a drug dealer is shut down, so that the money can continue to flow?

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

I ain't lyin'...I'm gettin' tired of the Lion.  =:0

"Grief Fatigue"

"If you need something done, wear a Lion costume"

Animal Rights strike a cord inside all of us.   It's a subject where everyone is right...and everyone is wrong....and everyone has an opinion.    The above quotes are just a couple of remarks I've recently read...and which rings true.   This will be top-of-mind until the next Splashy Internet Headline diverts our attention.  And hopefully that headline will come quickly. 

Honored Contributor

Really tacky, insensitive, and hurtful picture.  Shows your true colors.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I don't understand this?   With all the things going on that are really important, Cecil tops the list? Really?

IMO this thread contributes to the "overload." 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

For those  who can't muster up enough compassion for animals and their suffering, look at the tragedy as Gandhi would have:

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

.......says the Nation that coined the moniker, "Meat Candy".

Honored Contributor

Re: Cecil overload........

[ Edited ]

I can walk and chew gum at the same time.  And I can be concerned about more than one important issue at the same time also.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I ain't lyin'...I'm gettin' tired of the Lion.  =:0

"Grief Fatigue"

"If you need something done, wear a Lion costume"

Animal Rights strike a cord inside all of us.   It's a subject where everyone is right...and everyone is wrong....and everyone has an opinion.    The above quotes are just a couple of remarks I've recently read...and which rings true.   This will be top-of-mind until the next Splashy Internet Headline diverts our attention.  And hopefully that headline will come quickly. 

HOPEFULLY NOT. STUPID QUOTES.