Respected Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

I wanted to try the riced cauliflower, so I bought some at Walmart. You can either find it in the produce section or in the frozen vegetables section. I purchased the frozen riced cauliflower with garlic seasoning. (It comes with several different seasonings or plain.) It was absolutely delicious! I love vegetables though. No, it doesn't taste like potatoes, but it is wonderful...if you like vegetables.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. We got out of the eggs are bad now we're into potatoes phase - I totally disregard all that bunk.

From the CDC:

"More than 29 million people in the United States have diabetes, up from the previous estimate of 26 million in 2010, according to a report released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One in four people with diabetes doesn’t know he or she has it.

"Another 86 million adults – more than one in three U.S. adults – have prediabetes, where their blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, 15 percent to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within five years."

There are (see above) literally millions of people in the US who should keep their starchy, carb-laden foods to a minimum for their health, not for some fad. Potatoes are not "good for" everyone.

@Moonchilde

I think the key words are carb-laden and moderate physical activity. IMHO becoming less sedentary and increasing physical activity along with greatly limiting processed foods is the answer.  I believe all natural, unprocessed foods, are healthy, including potatoes. Everything in modertion, including excersie and calorie intake.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. We got out of the eggs are bad now we're into potatoes phase - I totally disregard all that bunk.

From the CDC:

"More than 29 million people in the United States have diabetes, up from the previous estimate of 26 million in 2010, according to a report released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One in four people with diabetes doesn’t know he or she has it.

"Another 86 million adults – more than one in three U.S. adults – have prediabetes, where their blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, 15 percent to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within five years."

There are (see above) literally millions of people in the US who should keep their starchy, carb-laden foods to a minimum for their health, not for some fad. Potatoes are not "good for" everyone.

@Moonchilde

I think the key words are carb-laden and moderate physical activity. IMHO becoming less sedentary and increasing physical activity along with greatly limiting processed foods is the answer.  I believe all natural, unprocessed foods, are healthy, including potatoes. Everything in modertion, including excersie and calorie intake.

I agree, @eddyandme. I just feel there's a difference between "not necessarily totally bad for you" and "good for you."

As a diabetic, I certainly eat potatoes, in restricted, controlled amounts and frequency. I don't believe in "can never have/shouldn't ever eat" and I do eat pretty much everything, under control. I do eat more cauliflower than mash ;-)

I just feel that "not horrible for you" and actually "good for you" are different.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. 

@eddyandme

I totally agree...potatoes are good you and e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e.

Stuns me so many people, professional people to boot,

are so misguided about carbohydrates being the cause of diabetes T2!

Intramyocellular Lipids.

It's the fat in the cells which causes insulin resistance,

not a whole, unprocessed plant, like potatoes.  SMH.

Respected Contributor

My husband was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and we are scrambling to find things to eat as a side dish, since we both love potatoes and rice. I am not under the illusion that it will taste the same but we are trying the mashed cauliflower with some pork chops and gravy tonight. One good benefit it that we are eating a LOT more vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. 

@eddyandme

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Just as those with the disease who accept medical science and treatment vs the financially self-interested publications of those who have "the answer" (which if it actualy were, would be on the nightly news around the world), shake their heads at "the victim is deliberately committing the crime" zealotry.

Honored Contributor

@froggy, I totally understand not wanting to give up the foods we love - and we don't have to. We just have to really watch portion sizes of starchy carbs. I love rice and breads, more than potatoes or pasta. I do eat them all - but not in a portion size that's totally satisfying, I know :-(  It's difficult at first - and bravo for you & DH getting started. But gradually, you get used to smaller servings and less frequent consuming and it gets to be less of a pain and more routine.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

@eddyandme

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Just as those with the disease who accept medical science and treatment vs the financially self-interested publications of those who have "the answer" (which if it actualy were, would be on the nightly news around the world), shake their heads at "the victim is deliberately committing the crime" zealotry.

Call it what you want, but my low fat plant based camp doesn't have to test blood sugars every day, stick themselves with insulin needles & pop Metformin...never again, for the rest of their lives.  

And it IS known around the world....for generations & generations before us, people eating a lower fat diet & eating starches & vegetables have always proven to be healthier.   It's not rocket science.  

And I have posted success reports from 'nightly news' reports....but those posts are a.l.w.a.y.s. met with the same response.  It's a choice to believe or not.  Or to be diabetic or not. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

@eddyandme

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Call it what you want, but my low fat plant based camp doesn't have to test blood sugars every day, stick themselves with insulin needles & pop Metformin...never again, for the rest of their lives.  

And it IS known around the world....for generations & generations before us, people eating a lower fat diet & eating starches & vegetables have always proven to be healthier.   It's not rocket science.  

And I have posted success reports from 'nightly news' reports....but those posts are a.l.w.a.y.s. met with the same response.  It's a choice to believe or not.  Or to be diabetic or not. 

And the moon landing was staged in a Burbank studio👽

Respected Contributor

Please let's not go down the blame game road for disease cause yet again. It's insulting for those who struggle with diseases like diabetes and it completely derails an interesting thread. Spamming every single thread about food is annoying and offensive.

I like potatoes and eat them as part of a varied diet that includes good servings of protein and fats. Moderation in all foods works for me. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower but I keep looking for ways to prepare it that will appeal to me.