Trusted Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

I don't think cauliflower and potatoes are the same thing, but I use cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes all the time and quite enjoy it. I have to strictly limit my carbohydrates, so potatoes are out. I don't miss them at all. To each his own. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. 

@eddyandme

I totally agree...potatoes are good you and e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e.

Stuns me so many people, professional people to boot,

are so misguided about carbohydrates being the cause of diabetes T2!

Intramyocellular Lipids.

It's the fat in the cells which causes insulin resistance,

not a whole, unprocessed plant, like potatoes.  SMH.

Just as those with the disease who accept medical science and treatment vs the financially self-interested publications of those who have "the answer" (which if it actualy were, would be on the nightly news around the world), shake their heads at "the victim is deliberately committing the crime" zealotry.

Call it what you want, but my low fat plant based camp doesn't have to test blood sugars every day, stick themselves with insulin needles & pop Metformin...never again, for the rest of their lives.  

And it IS known around the world....for generations & generations before us, people eating a lower fat diet & eating starches & vegetables have always proven to be healthier.   It's not rocket science.  

And I have posted success reports from 'nightly news' reports....but those posts are a.l.w.a.y.s. met with the same response.  It's a choice to believe or not.  Or to be diabetic or not. 

My a1c levels are non-diabetic normal. I do not use insulin. Nor do I test my BG daily 🤔

Nor do I "never eat" starches, vegetables and fruit. I certainly do eat them. 

Wrong. It IS a choice to believe or not. Your insistence that diabetics have a "choice" to "cure themselves" (or to deliberately "keep on having" diabetes) is your opinion; not fact. 

I can understand anyone's zeal for something that has worked for them. I participate in a thread where I and others are advocating something many find controversial. The difference is, we don't tell others their pain, discomfort, cancer, etc. is "their fault" and it will all vanish like magic if they only do what we do. We put it out there, on the table; we don't choose to deliberately insult anyone who chooses not to do it. The only point to doing that, IMO, is enjoying the insulting. Me? I do offer my feelings in return to those who insult me first.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

sidsmom, look up ketogenic diet. That is what I follow to control my blood sugar. It is a high fat, low carb diet that allows the body to burn ketones rather than carbs. I was pre-diabetic and have managed to maintain normal blood sugar by eating a high fat, low carb diet. Just eating a few carbs messes me up, so I keep it under 20 gr carbs daily, occasionally 30. 

That being said, diabetes runs in my family. Not a one of them through three generations was overweight or eating a junk diet. While it is true that what you eat affects your blood sugar, it isn't as simple as saying it is a choice or if you just ate differently, you wouldn't have diabetes. Certainly children who develop Type I diabetes don't have a choice. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

Potatoes are good for you. I was raised on potatoes - and still love them! When I was a baby my mother said I wouldn't eat baby food, so my grandmother told her to make me mashed potatoes! It worked!!!!! This cauliflower thing is just a phase. 

@eddyandme

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Just as those with the disease who accept medical science and treatment vs the financially self-interested publications of those who have "the answer" (which if it actualy were, would be on the nightly news around the world), shake their heads at "the victim is deliberately committing the crime" zealotry.

Call it what you want, but my low fat plant based camp doesn't have to test blood sugars every day, stick themselves with insulin needles & pop Metformin...never again, for the rest of their lives.  

And it IS known around the world....for generations & generations before us, people eating a lower fat diet & eating starches & vegetables have always proven to be healthier.   It's not rocket science.  

And I have posted success reports from 'nightly news' reports....but those posts are a.l.w.a.y.s. met with the same response.  It's a choice to believe or not.  Or to be diabetic or not. 

Diabetes is NOT a choice and your constant advice is dangerous. It is an insult to a diabetics intelligence on top of it. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@froggy, I totally understand not wanting to give up the foods we love - and we don't have to. We just have to really watch portion sizes of starchy carbs. I love rice and breads, more than potatoes or pasta. I do eat them all - but not in a portion size that's totally satisfying, I know :-(  It's difficult at first - and bravo for you & DH getting started. But gradually, you get used to smaller servings and less frequent consuming and it gets to be less of a pain and more routine.

@Moonchilde

Oh, yes, we understand the difference between eliminating and cutting back. It's just that so much a part of his diet was potatoes, pasta and bread. He loves all kinds of frozen snacks with tortillas, buns and so forth that every meal is full of choices and trade-offs.The good news is that we are controlling his blood sugar with diet alone so far. And it doesn't hurt me to eat more veggies also.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I really like califlower but I never tried it as a potato substitute. I do not think I would like it  masked unless it was truely smooth. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I keep reading diet menus that say to make cauliflower & mash it as a potato sub - UGGG - I am not a fan of cauliflower, and it certainly doesn't taste anything at all like potatoes.Just because they are both white - that is all they have in common. I way way way prefer to eat just a tiny amount of potato over eating mashed cauliflower.(gag). Do people really think it's the same thing?

I have never been a fan of it either but I have found that by chopping it fine I like it much better. The same thing with broccoli and brussels sprouts. I shred the brussels sprouts and saute them in a little olive oil /butter mix and actually like them whereas before I could hardly eat them. They are still not like a potato. I have some serious potato love.

Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@151949

@eddyandme

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Diabetes is NOT a choice and your constant advice is dangerous. It is an insult to a diabetics intelligence on top of it. Smiley Sad

So how do you explain diabetes & heart disease is virtually unheard of

within plant-based civilizations?  My plant based advice is the exact

same advice people have been using for multi-generations.

It's not voodoo, no matter how badly you wish it was. 

And yes, Type 2 diabetes is a choice.  

If someone thinks living healthy is 'zealotry', you'll never heal,

hence the pushback. 

Fat is the cause, not the carbohydrate, for type 2 diabetes.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom -- Why as a type 2 diabetic does my blood sugar spike if I eat a plain potato or plain white rice? As far as I know they are both plants but when I eat them my blood sugar rises -- a lot!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@akaburtonfan  Many vegetables - esp. root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, parsnips & sweet potatoes are very high in carbs. Carbs are what spike your blood sugar.

I suggest you get a book called THE CALORIE KING - you can look up foods in there and it tells you the grams of carbs and fats. At my diabetes class we were told to limit our fats to 40gm /day and our carbs to 60gm/day. Get a calender and every day write down the carbs and fats you ate - then , using the book as a guide you will slowly learn what you can & can't eat and how small or large a portion you can have. Also - save 15gm of carbs to eat right before you go to bed to prevent sugar dropping thru the night.