Super Contributor

Clean cooktop with baking soda and vinegar - scours, but does not scratch.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

We use magic erasers on our glass top and they keep ours clean.

Same here with a little spray of Mrs. Meyer's if needed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Cast iron skillet

[ Edited ]

Celtic Crafter: I have a small cast iron skillet (not rusty) that I often use mainly to toast coconut flakes and also cook eggs, etc. and also another one (unused) that had been sitting for years (was slightly rusty); the Coca cola 'Coke' regular worked quite well.  The smaller pans are easier (lighter weight) for me to handle, so now I use them both at the same time!  One for toasted coconut flakes, and the other for eggs, etc.  Love, love coconut flakes on just about everything including ice cream! Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@Demitra1 wrote:

Do any of you use a cast iron skillet on a smooth cooktop? I would love to, but I'm afraid. Lol. Any tips?

Also, while I'm on the subject, any tips on cleaning a smooth top? I've bought specialized cleaners and tried various things, but it never ends up perfect. I really dislike  it. Hopefully I'm missing a trick.

TIA, 

Demitra1

I use Weiman Glass Top cleaner on my stove. It's an excellent product. YES, you can use cast iron on a smooth cooktop.

Trusted Contributor

I use my grandmother's old Griswold cast iron pans on my glass-top stove; I'm just very careful not to move it around on the stove. Once I set it on the burner, it pretty much stays right there. That way, the glass isn't scratched. There are some foods that taste better done in cast iron.

Those Griswolds are wonderful, wonderful pans. Nice and heavy. Hers were well-seasoned when she gave them to me decades ago. And they're still in wonderful condition. A re-seasoning every so often is all that's needed. 

Honored Contributor

I used to have a whole set of cast iron pots and pans and a glass top stove. One day I had chili cooking in my cast iron dutch oven on top of the stove when the stove made a horrible noise and had Literally exploded . There  were glass shards everywhere from the glass top that had blown up. When we called a repairman he told me , and showed me, what had happened. Under that piece of glass are regular electric coils that heat up just like an old fashioned electric stove used to have. There are silicone dots that the glass top sits on which keep it from touching those very hot coils. When you use cast iron it is too heavy and the silicone coils collapse under the weight - the glass eventually starts to sit right on the coils and the direct heat makes the glass explode. And that is WHY you should not use cast iron on a glass top stove - it is too heavy , esp. when it has food added to it's own weight.

Honored Contributor

151949:  I was 'kind of' thinking along those lines, but as usual, nothing (links) to back-up my thoughts........thank you.  Makes a lot of sense.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

You can use cast iron on a ceramic or glass cook top, but it isn't recommended. If you're using raw cast iron, it could scratch the cooktop if the bottom of the vessel is not perfectly smooth.  As far as enameled cast iron goes (i.e. Crueset), I've read many horror stories about these pots cracking glass cooktops. I would follow the manufacturer's advice on what to use on top of your stove.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cast iron skillet

[ Edited ]

I'm absolutely certain someone will come on here and argue with me that they use their cast iron all the time etc etc - but there are REASONS that they tell you not to.

Believe me - you only need that glass to blow up on you one time - and you will totally stop the use of cast iron on that stove.

QVC Customer Care