Respected Contributor

This would be frustrating to be stuck in tar during rush hour on a hot day.  Smiley Sad

I-295 South Closed After Cars Got Stuck in Wet Tar: DC Police

By Matthew Stabley Published 2 hours ago Updated 19 mins ago

D.C. police closed a section of southbound Interstate 295 near Benning Road in Northeast after several vehicles got stuck in wet tar from construction work.

The road is being repaired. The construction crew opened the road before it was ready to open, police said.

The type of asphalt used by the contractor caused vehicles to pick up chunks of tar that gets caught in wheel beds and tires, and the cars then got stuck, police said.

Police are working to remove the stuck vehicles. No injuries have been reported.

The closure is expected to last until Thursday morning, police said.

Portions of outbound New York Avenue and Benning Road also are affected.

I-295 closure

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Yikes! That is awful!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Just hope there's not a sudden freeze while these cars are stuck.  They'll never get them out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Who is going to be responsible for the damage to the stuck cars? The road crew opened the road before the tar had cured so they should have to pay for any repairs or even have to replace the vehicles if the tar has damaged the undercarriages. What a mess!

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Who is going to be responsible for the damage to the stuck cars? The road crew opened the road before the tar had cured so they should have to pay for any repairs or even have to replace the vehicles if the tar has damaged the undercarriages. What a mess!

That was my thought also.  The road crew's negligence caused this incident. 

It is going be quite a mess getting those cars out and removing the tar.  I would think the cars would be damaged now. 

Even if you think all of the tar has been removed, that might not be the case and you could have issues in the future.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha  What a mess. DC will be paying for a lot of vehicle damage. 

D9E2C94D-00D7-44F4-BEA2-B4DD454858A0.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Total Loss. The damage cannot be fixed.  Insurance co will pay. Hope they have good coverage!

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

That was my thought also.  The road crew's negligence caused this incident. 

It is going be quite a mess getting those cars out and removing the tar.  I would think the cars would be damaged now. 

Even if you think all of the tar has been removed, that might not be the case and you could have issues in the future.

@Mersha   Asphalt cannot be removed. It's like the gum stuck under a desk.  My former employer tarred potholed sections of the parking lot . i came back from lunch one day and drove over a section, which was not marked by cones,  and the asphalt stuck to my tire. 

a big lump of tar was stuck in the tire treads and i had to get AAA to come and install  my spare. my car was not driveable with that big lump.

the tire was toast. Plus, my company didnt want to compensate me at first for the cost of a new tire.  it was a mess.

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline   Thanks for the info. 

It is a horrible mess for those drivers trying to get where they are going, especially with little ones or pets in the car.

I am sure there will be accounts on our local news channels of what people went through.

It sounds like lawyers will be involved in this one.

Honored Contributor

This is terrible.