Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

I think this must be very much a regional thing, I was born and raised in GA but also lived all over the country, CA, ME, VT, CT to name a few, but I never heard of this 'theory' about cardinals except for here, from our NE posters.

If it brings someone comfort, good for them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I'm in the NE and have never heard of this 'theory' until JT spoke of it on QVC. I just like birds period.

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954    Whenever I see a buzzard, it reminds me of my mother in law. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you Miss Pepsi (my favorite cola). I do the same when I see a cardinal.

It make's me feel good.  Why does that bother some people?  I miss my husband desperately and seeing a cardinal just puts a smile on my face and I pretend it's from him.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who never heard that theory about cardinals.  Nevertheless, it seems to make it into every sales pitch involving a cardinal product.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

So glad I don't watch anymore.  Is this what the hosts talk about to sell a product????

Yup  During a presentation he said "I have a cardinal that comes visit me everyday and I see it from the second floor of my house so I know it purposely is visiting me because cardinals don't fly that high.  LOL.  The sound so idiotic.

Esteemed Contributor

I had 6 (3 generations) of Cardinals in my yard and at my feeders one year.

I have 21 aunts and uncles and a few cousins that are deceased.  I would hate to have to figure out who the 6 were that were visiting me????

Love cardinals, think they are facinating birds and enjoy every one I see!

Honored Contributor

I have always had cardinals and can't think of any relatives that might want to visit me prior to my parents dying.  I had never even heard of that saying until a couple of years ago.  Someone mentioned suet.  I've never seen cardinals at my suet feeder.  They prefer the black oil sunflower seeds.  The male does come and hang out on the deck and I always say he's probably there to let me know the feeder is empty.  

However, If someone wants to believe that it is a dead relative or if it gives one comfort I don't see the harm and I wouldn't tell them differently.  

Honored Contributor

I never heard this theory either until Tara from Temptations started telling her story about cardinals on her pieces.

I grew up in the Northeast and my parents used to tell us "if you see a dime face up that's a sign someone's thinking of you" and pick it up.  

So who knows but if seeing a cardinal gives someone comfort then so be it.  We have several in our yard everyday just wondering whose visiting me...hope it's my dad!

They are beautiful birds.

Esteemed Contributor
The beliefs about cardinals is not regional & is pretty well known. I don’t personally believe it’s really the person making a visit but because of the story, I think of loved ones who have passed on.