Honored Contributor

Cardboard Sled Race

[ Edited ]

A local radio station has a Cardboard Sled Race every year. A few years ago, several Engineers from our company worked many hours making a sled to compete in the race. Their sled fell apart as it was going down the hill.

The picture below is the second place winner of this years race. I can't believe what a nice job they did making the sled. And I also can't believe it only got second place.

PS - Just saw a picture of Slinky Dog going down from the top of the hill. Each person had a headrest. So if any of you had any safety concerns. You don't have to worry.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  Love this picture.  Made me remember our cardboard sleds.  When I was very small - growing up in a Welsh Valley during  WWII no toys around - so us kids got cardboard boxes, flattened them, hiked up the mountain and then ‘slid’ down.  Lots of bruised bots, and some fell in river at bottom but what fun!  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla @That sled is very impressive.I can’t imagine the time and effort.Did you attend the races?

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is an absolutely amazing sled and kudos to all of the dedicated work that went into it!...I can't believe that it is all cardboard and appears quite sturdy for the ride!...I would love to see a picture of the sled that won first place!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

We did that too with cardboard back in the fifties, but we used it to slide down the steep grassy hills where we lived.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@drizzellla  Love this picture.  Made me remember our cardboard sleds.  When I was very small - growing up in a Welsh Valley during  WWII no toys around - so us kids got cardboard boxes, flattened them, hiked up the mountain and then ‘slid’ down.  Lots of bruised bots, and some fell in river at bottom but what fun!  

We used to use trays from our cafeteria and go "traying". We had so much fun. At the bottom of the hill there always seemed to be a puddle. So our pants would freeze to our legs. But it was well worth it.

I bet having 2 pieces of cardboard made your sleds held up a bit better.

My Father's Family is from Wales and in the front of the family Genealogy book is the saying:

To be born in Wales, not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but, with music in your blood and with poetry in your soul, is a privilege indeed.

Respected Contributor

We have annual cardboard kayak races at the beach.

Lots of fun to watch but nothing as elegant as the one in your pic.

Honored Contributor

@dex

No, I did not attend. I wish I had. Especially the year the guys at work built their sled.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla   What part of Wales your family from?  Sorry about font cannot change it!  And yes my Dad, all his brothers all were in Welsh choirs!

Honored Contributor

"John Jones was born at Derlwyn Farm the ancestral farm of the Joneses. The farm is located in the Parish of Llanllaqddog, just outside the town of Carmarthen, Wales."

When did you move to the US? Where were you from in Wales?

Do you like the movie How Green Was My Valley?