Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detectors

@Kachina624, Like you, I heard it and since I stay in B&B's quite often, I thought it might be a good idea to pack one, just in case.  I hope that I remember to bring it back; but, if not, then someone else will be able to use it.  Luckily, they are quite inexpensive for such a life-saving item.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I just bought two - one for each floor - combo carbon mono/explosive gas.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@SXMGirlwrote:

We have one on every floor.  I am also reading that you should take them on vacation, not so much for hotels, but for rental homes.  This came to light after that family died in Mexico last week.  I never thought about taking one with me, but I now have one already packed in my bag.

I heard that suggestion last week and wondered how many people would go to that much trouble, and of the few that did, how many would remember to bring it back home?

I sleep with my window open 365 nights a year, even when it got down to -14° so don't worry about it much.

Just because you sleep with a window open doesn't mean you cannot get carbon minoxide poisoning.  The gas can linger in your bedroom, it doesn't necessarily go to the window and out.  Plus that open bedroom window won't do much for the rest of your house.  

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

@Kachina624, Like you, I heard it and since I stay in B&B's quite often, I thought it might be a good idea to pack one, just in case.  I hope that I remember to bring it back; but, if not, then someone else will be able to use it.  Luckily, they are quite inexpensive for such a life-saving item.

@SXMGirl, I would never have thought about that until l heard the suggestion after that Mexico incident.

And while I think it's a good idea, I'm skeptical about what really happened with that family.  There are so many problems in Mexico now, even in tourist areas, I have my doubts.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@SXMGirlwrote:

We have one on every floor.  I am also reading that you should take them on vacation, not so much for hotels, but for rental homes.  This came to light after that family died in Mexico last week.  I never thought about taking one with me, but I now have one already packed in my bag.

I heard that suggestion last week and wondered how many people would go to that much trouble, and of the few that did, how many would remember to bring it back home?

I sleep with my window open 365 nights a year, even when it got down to -14° so don't worry about it much.

We take 2 with us when we rent a house at the Outer Banks. It’s really no trouble, since my husband bought them specifically for vacation. He has a bag of items like this that he keeps packed for our vacation, so he just grabs that bag when we’re packing the car. At the rental house, we keep them on a table or counter, so they’re easy to see when we’re packing to go home. If we missed them, they aren’t that expensive, so we’d just get another one. 

Honored Contributor

have 3 carbon detectors in my house and tested weekly when I clean

have smoke detectors in every room of the house and checked every week when I clean that room.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I'm also still here - and I'm shocked. I'm 77 yrs old - and a 12 yr cancer survivor. My mom died of the same cancer in 1982 when she was only 65 yrs old.

Esteemed Contributor

A family of 4 - parents and 2 young children from Iowa ---- died a couple of weeks ago vacationing in a condo in Mexico of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I bought my house brand new in 2001 and I have smoke alarms --- and realized that my previous homes didn't have smoke alarms. Never occurred to me.

1-1/2 yrs ago, around 6AM, I was in my house - sleeping with my little dog - and my smoke alarms went off - it was blasting. I called the Fire Dept. and they removed a few batteries and stopped the alarms. The smoke alarms were 15 yrs old - and they told me to change them every 10 yrs - didn't know that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

A family of 4 - parents and 2 young children from Iowa ---- died a couple of weeks ago vacationing in a condo in Mexico of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I bought my house brand new in 2001 and I have smoke alarms --- and realized that my previous homes didn't have smoke alarms. Never occurred to me.

1-1/2 yrs ago, around 6AM, I was in my house - sleeping with my little dog - and my smoke alarms went off - it was blasting. I called the Fire Dept. and they removed a few batteries and stopped the alarms. The smoke alarms were 15 yrs old - and they told me to change them every 10 yrs - didn't know that.

@kivah  You must have 10 year fire alarms.  Many of them are not.  They say to change your smoke detector batteries once a year unless you have the 10 year type.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I had a co worker who lost her sister (and sisters family) to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Once I was sleepy by wood burning fireplace (but doused it); at the time I thought it could be carbon monoxide (room wasn't well ventilated); point is you need to be vigilant!