Honored Contributor

I have a friend who had just gotten in bed the other night when her carbon monixide detector went off.  She took her dog and went outside and called 911.  The fire department came and turned off her gas and kept measuring the carbon monoxide levels in her house until it was safe for her to go back in.  Fortunately it was a warm night and she did spend the night in her house with the windows open.

The next day she found out the gas leak was in her fireplace.  It was about 20 years old.  The carbon monoxide detector really saved her life.  I just wanted to remind everyone that if you have gas you should have at least one detector on each floor of your house and also in your bedroom.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detectors

We have two of them on the first floor and one upstairs in a very small hallway that the three bedrooms share.  They are smoke/carbon monoxide combos.  Invaluable.

Honored Contributor

I have one upstairs but I also have one connected to ADT, so I'm covered.

I park my car inside the garage (in the house).  

Cars these days are so quiet, sometimes it's easy to leave them on and not realize it.

I keep the radio on so that helps to remind me also to turn off the car.

My car is the kind where you don't use a key to start it, but the key needs to be somewhere in the vacinity.

Esteemed Contributor

We had one in our old house. Our new one has one on the main level and one in the basement.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

I have one upstairs but I also have one connected to ADT, so I'm covered.

I park my car inside the garage (in the house).  

Cars these days are so quiet, sometimes it's easy to leave them on and not realize it.

I keep the radio on so that helps to remind me also to turn off the car.

My car is the kind where you don't use a key to start it, but the key needs to be somewhere in the vacinity.

I park my car in the garage, too, but don't think I would ever leave it running.  I always take my purse with me in the house, and the keys are in my purse.  My car would beep if I got out of the car with the keys and it was still running.  Also, like you, I always have the radio on in the car.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have the kind with 10-year batteries so I never need to worry about them.

Valued Contributor

Many years ago when my daughter and SIlL bought their first home I was shocked there were no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors in the house. I would have thought banks lending money would have insisted upon them. Anyway, hubby and I bought two of each good ones and gave them to them as a housewarming gift (and my husband installed them). Not sexy, but definitely practical and it gave US peace of mind. It always breaks my heart when I read a family has died due to carbon monoxide poisoning as it's so needless.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack If there's one thing I've learned is that I never say never.

I never thought I'd live to be 71, but I'm still here. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have one on every floor.  I am also reading that you should take them on vacation, not so much for hotels, but for rental homes.  This came to light after that family died in Mexico last week.  I never thought about taking one with me, but I now have one already packed in my bag.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

We have one on every floor.  I am also reading that you should take them on vacation, not so much for hotels, but for rental homes.  This came to light after that family died in Mexico last week.  I never thought about taking one with me, but I now have one already packed in my bag.

I heard that suggestion last week and wondered how many people would go to that much trouble, and of the few that did, how many would remember to bring it back home?

I sleep with my window open 365 nights a year, even when it got down to -14° so don't worry about it much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment