Esteemed Contributor

texting....driving impaired... is probably why self driving cars are a good idea...

Honored Contributor

Where we live the 2 huge causes of accidents seem to be speeding - everyone drives so fast & if your not speeding and they get behind you they get insane, and people who no longer have the mental capacity to drive out there on the road. For some reason people who know they can't drive will still drive the streets near their home where they are familiar.

Respected Contributor

Things that make you go hmmm..

Cell phone use and driving, I am wondering if that helped spur the addition of the lane departure warning on so many of the new vehicles.  There is also the automatic emergency braking feature.  I know these are consumer safety additions, but makes me wonder if these were added because of so many distracted drivers.

Respected Contributor

Pot compared to over the counter drugs or prescription drugs that some take like candy is more of a hazard on the road then marijuana. Or women in huge SUV and not being able to drive them properly. Old people who should in no way be driving is more of a hazard. Texting,Eating but sure lets go with Pot.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the concept of defensive driving - 45 years here with no accidents.   It's not taught anymore.   My dad taught me how to drive and defensive driving was #1 - look out for the other guy.   I didn't like it, I would tell him I can't drive for everyone on the road, just myself, but he was right.   And the lesson served me well.    I drive minimum 400 miles per week and I see everything, except state troopers.   They only clean up the mess after.

I have to stay drug and alchohol free due to my job, I get tested for both.   I work in an industry where a distraction for any reason could cause major damage.    But the penalties for illegal drugs and for driving while under the influence are crazy.   A guy growing marijuana plants will end up in prison while a drunk driver pays a fine, goes to a class and keeps driving.   

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Where we live the 2 huge causes of accidents seem to be speeding - everyone drives so fast & if your not speeding and they get behind you they get insane, and people who no longer have the mental capacity to drive out there on the road. For some reason people who know they can't drive will still drive the streets near their home where they are familiar.

They need some independence, every thing is taken away from them, that is one thing they do not want to give up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I have been driving since 1972, I was involved in one accident because the other driver was too busy  eating...I should have been more clear on the prescription drugs lol, not all are mind altering :-)  

I use to be on several presciption drugs,they did more harm than good for me. My doc prescribed pot and I am free of the other meds,   and no, I do not drive under the influence...

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I had to have a scary medical test and the doc prescribed an anti-anxiety med for me to take to get through the thing.  I told him I was afraid to drive on it and he said to me, "You have no idea how many people are out there driving on these meds".

I have since met a number of those people who do.  They seem to think nothing of it.

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

This has been my concern about making drugs legal, more people being killed by people on drugs than drinking,  in car accidents, like we now have to worry about both.

Don't forget cell phones. I'd love to see the statistics on automobile death increases since cell phones became commonplace.  

I remember reading something awhile back that the increase in auto accidents since cell phones has been dramatic.

Honored Contributor

I would rather be on the road with a pot smoker than a 16 year old, worse, a 16 year old with friends in the car. A person can't vote, can't  marry at 16 but is permitted out on the road in control of a machine with the potential to kill.

My vote is to legalize pot and raise the legal age to drive to 18.