Honored Contributor

I received an email yesterday that ended up in my junk folder from Capital One about a settlement from a data breach from 2019. The email looks legit it gives you your own number for submitting a claim. I looked it up on the internet, it does seem to be on the up and up but I want to make sure before giving them any info. Did anyone get this email?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2    I know I'm not eligible (no Capital One involvement) but I also know every settlement I have ever been a part of has come via snailmail with a couple of pages of information.  Do continue to check this out carefully before responding.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 I did not receive an email, however, I did receive snail mail letters for each Capital One account.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I wouldn't trust an email that ended up in Spam!!

Any settlement cases I have been involved in were ALWAYS sent snail mail.

Usually that is required by the courts.

Honored Contributor

I have a Capital One credit card and have received nothing about any settlement.  I get emails from them regularly, none of which end up in spam.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   Keep in mind not all customers are entitiled to this settlement.

However:

From Market Realist:

Quote:

"If you’ve received an email about the settlement and you're a Capital One customer, it may be difficult to tell whether it’s real without testing it first. You could open it to see the content, but be careful not to click any links in it.

Instead of opening links directly in the email, copy the URL and open the website in a separate tab. You can now enter the code or PIN you received in the email to see if it works on the claim website. If it works, the email may be legit. At this point, it might also be a good idea to contact Capital One directly to check the authenticity of the email."

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Jordan2   Keep in mind not all customers are entitiled to this settlement.

However:

From Market Realist:

Quote:

"If you’ve received an email about the settlement and you're a Capital One customer, it may be difficult to tell whether it’s real without testing it first. You could open it to see the content, but be careful not to click any links in it.

Instead of opening links directly in the email, copy the URL and open the website in a separate tab. You can now enter the code or PIN you received in the email to see if it works on the claim website. If it works, the email may be legit. At this point, it might also be a good idea to contact Capital One directly to check the authenticity of the email."

I think the last suggestion should be initiated first, go to Capital One's website and use that phone number to call to discuss....I wouldnt give them any pin# asking for it in an email

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I received an email yesterday that ended up in my junk folder from Capital One about a settlement from a data breach from 2019. The email looks legit it gives you your own number for submitting a claim. I looked it up on the internet, it does seem to be on the up and up but I want to make sure before giving them any info. Did anyone get this email?

@Jordan2 

I came across an interesting site a while back.  It summarizes current class action lawsuits.  You might be eligible for something ... who knows?  It's topclassactions dot com.  HTH

Honored Contributor

I had an acct w/them for many years but it was finally cancelled by them since I hadn't used it in ages. 

Anyway, I got the email the other day.   I'm pretty sure my account wasn't breached so I just deleted it.

I do agree that it looked legit but I, too, would probably have researched it a bit before responding if it applied to me.

Honored Contributor

I don't even respond to those class action lawsuits, having never gotten more than $10., for my efforts.  Their purpose is to make lawyers rich(er).  Waste of time.  I refuse to aid and abet them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment