Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@suzyQ3  I was afraid it might be yearly, too.  Hopefully there won't be a lot of different strains of dog flu, and the vaccine would last longer.  I believe this new vaccine is supposed to cover both strains.

@NickNack, if it turns out to be yearly, we'll get it yearly for our dog, unless for some reason she would not be a candidate. I'm just more concerned about her staying as healthy as possible than I am concerned about the vaccine -- unless of course credible sources sound a warning that it is problematic to the point of our being better off without it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

Our Red just survived pancreatitis (barely) so we are especially protective of him.

@maestra, soon after my husband had an acute pancreatitis attack (about two months ago), our dog was also diagnosed as having mild pancreatitis. I remained the outlier. :-)

@suzyQ3  I hope Mr. Suzy is doing better.

Red had his health scare 2 months ago and 2 weeks after he was stabilized, Mr. Maestra went into total heart block = pacemaker. I was the circus ringmaster.

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

It is also in Tennessee.  It spread at a boarding kennel.  Two dogs were boarding there that had been at a dog show in Georgia.  They got it there and brought it to the boarding kennel.

Since Frankie is groomed I am having her get the vaccine on Tuesday.  It's a two-part vaccine that you have to repeat in 3-4 weeks.  I have titers for all vaccines except rabies and bordatella and don't believe in over vaccinating.  From what I've read about this strain of the flu it spreads very easily.  If dogs are exposed to it there is 100% chance that they'll get it according to the article that I read.

I posted the above.  After reading an article written by Dr. Jean Dodds re: the flu vaccine I cancelled my appointment.  http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/151236230526/new-flu-viruses-dog#.WUANDHXyv-b  I really respect Dr. Dodds' opinion on vaccines and have followed the protocol she recommends, including having titers done.

I may change my mind later if the flu vaccine spreads greatly in Tennessee, but for now I'm not going to get it for Frankie.

@NickNackYou might want to rethink this: The article you linked is from Oct. 2016. This new flu is especially bad, easily spread and deadly.

Don't forget cross contamination: If you were at a dog show, your shoes, clothing, purse, totes could carry the virus. Take appropriate precautions. 

Respected Contributor

Please note this virus stays alive on human clothing for 24 hours after exposure.

Respected Contributor

@maestra  You are correct, maestra. That's why I mentioned cross contamination. I know some dog show people who have been discussing this flu outbreak.

@NickNack  You do need to be careful with the titer testing. Dr. Dodds firmly believes we over vaccinate our dogs, that they build up immunity from the mother and then the puppy shots. One of my dogs can't be vaccinated, he had an allergic reaction to one and therefore I refuse to allow any as a precaution. His titers are done through her lab, the rabies titer is sent to Kansas. She signs the letter of explanation at the bottom of the test results. 

That being said, I distinctly remember seeing the first letter she sent to my vet with the titer results for Parvo and Distemper. While my dog showed a high immunity to both, she clearly stated that if there was a direct exposure he might need to be vaccinated. I take appropriate precautions, he's never exposed to another dog besides the other one at home. 

With the canine flu, there is no way for a dog to build an immunity, just as there is no way for a human to build an immunity to the flu. Neither of my dogs have had flu shots, nor the kennel cough one-they aren't borded. They can't have Lepto-their breed does not do well with that one. 

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

Our Red just survived pancreatitis (barely) so we are especially protective of him.

@maestra, soon after my husband had an acute pancreatitis attack (about two months ago), our dog was also diagnosed as having mild pancreatitis. I remained the outlier. :-)

@suzyQ3  I hope Mr. Suzy is doing better.

Red had his health scare 2 months ago and 2 weeks after he was stabilized, Mr. Maestra went into total heart block = pacemaker. I was the circus ringmaster.

@maestra, and I of course hope that Mr. Maestra is doing better as well. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

It is also in Tennessee.  It spread at a boarding kennel.  Two dogs were boarding there that had been at a dog show in Georgia.  They got it there and brought it to the boarding kennel.

Since Frankie is groomed I am having her get the vaccine on Tuesday.  It's a two-part vaccine that you have to repeat in 3-4 weeks.  I have titers for all vaccines except rabies and bordatella and don't believe in over vaccinating.  From what I've read about this strain of the flu it spreads very easily.  If dogs are exposed to it there is 100% chance that they'll get it according to the article that I read.

I posted the above.  After reading an article written by Dr. Jean Dodds re: the flu vaccine I cancelled my appointment.  http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/151236230526/new-flu-viruses-dog#.WUANDHXyv-b  I really respect Dr. Dodds' opinion on vaccines and have followed the protocol she recommends, including having titers done.

I may change my mind later if the flu vaccine spreads greatly in Tennessee, but for now I'm not going to get it for Frankie.

@NickNackYou might want to rethink this: The article you linked is from Oct. 2016. This new flu is especially bad, easily spread and deadly.

Don't forget cross contamination: If you were at a dog show, your shoes, clothing, purse, totes could carry the virus. Take appropriate precautions. 

@kdgn  There was a notation that Dr. Dodds wrote on a page before the article that was up to date.  It said that her views were still the same with this second flu.  However, I am starting to rethink my decision as I just read an article in the paper that said two new cases of the flu were in Tennessee.  That's a total of four, and one of the dogs died.  My dog isn't around other dogs much, but she does get groomed every eight weeks.  I know it is highly contagious.  I've read that the vaccine does't prevent them from getting the flu, but makes it less severe.  I guess it's much like the human flu vaccine.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have had my dogs vaccinated for Canine Influenza for the past approx 4 years. My vet says the flue is very contagious. My dogs have never had ill effects from the vaccination.