Contributor

Re: Cancer question about support

Thank you all. I am glad I asked. She is lucky to have a supported husband, 2 adult girls and her sister. I am the one she calls at 2 am when she can not sleep and I am happy to talk to her any time. She lives about 5 hours away, I am going to make it a point to get over there every month.

Anglophilly - It does bring up memories with the loss of my husband. I think loosing him makes me want to be there to support her and my brother even more. I was very alone when Gary had cancer and we had a 5 yr girl. I just want her to live a happy life and see her girls get married (one in Oct 2015 and the other in March 2016) and hopefully see grandchildren. She as always wanted grandchildren.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer question about support

Time does help. I was dx in 2012 with breast cancer and went thru surgery, chemo and radiation. I take tamoxifen everyday for the next 5 years,still see my onc dr and have bi-yearly mammos. I went thru some pretty heavy duty depression about my illness and no book ever helped me. I didn't have much support from my husband or family so dealt with everything pretty much on my own. I do have lingering side effects from the treatments and I never forget that I HAD cancer, BUT....it does not overtake me 24/7. I tried a counseling but it wasn't for me. I tried the support groups and still not for me. There is a grieving process you go thru as well as sheer rage; I think that is normal. I try to not stress myself out with trivial matters; I try to eat healthy and am working on getting to be more active. I still have my days that I curl up and sob for a few hours. As long as you are there to listen to your SIL, that is such a huge deal. My BFF is in AZ; I'm in WA state and if it hadn't been for her constantly texting me or calling me, I'm not sure I would have made it. Having cancer recur is always a worry. She just has to listen to her body and if she is confident in her drs, then to follow their advice. She needs to be her own advocate now however, always be alert and tuned in to herself. She'll make it--it may take awhile but what doesn't, right?