Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canceling Direct TV Question

[ Edited ]

I canceled DirectTV last August over the phone. I took my receivers and remotes to a UPS store where they knew what to do with the stuff. They scanned the bar codes on the bottom of the receivers,  gave me a print out and they took it from there. My dish is still on the roof and will probably be there until my husband gets ambitious and removes it someday. Make sure to include a letter listing what's inside the box. I didn't trust them not to come back saying something was missing and try to charge me. I think you have something like 14 days to send stuff back.

Trusted Contributor

My only gripe with Direct TV is the cost.  We will be cutting the cord as soon as we figure out what we want to get, to get the shows we want to get.  I will miss having the DVR though for sure.

Regular Contributor

I had DirecTV since the 90's. I got rid of it in Nov 19. Mostly I couldn't afford it anymore. I now have HULU & am not crazy about it but will continue with it for now at least at about half the price. I cancelled online over chat.They told me to dispose of my equipment myself. 

Frequent Contributor

@Miss Pepsi  I’m preparing to cut the cord and have done some research. Actually I have information to go through sitting on my table right now. I do know that you can record shows and more than only the two I’m being offered now!  Apparently it’s stored in the cloud and no monthly equipment charges! 

Frequent Contributor

@estaw2000

I’m preparing to cut the cord and haven’t decided which way to go yet. May I ask what you’re not happy with Hulu about? That was one option I was considering. One of my concerns  is missing tv shows I’ve been watching for years that come on at certain days and times.

Is there a daily guide with Hulu or how do you know when to watch? Thank you for any information you or anyone can provide. 

I hope it’s ok to ask on this forum. Just realized I’m not on TV and Movies. 

Valued Contributor

I'm ending the nightmare known formerly as Direct TV, now AT&T.  They are done -- well over 10 years with them (nice way to treat your loyal customers).  My equipment is old...hopefully they won't request it returned.  I'm glad I never upgraded 2 years ago like I was going to.  

I had to stop payment on check (they're still dancing around this one).  They still can't explain why no bill sent to me the last month of year -- uh, maybe cause it probably was not sent for some reason.  I'm not supposed to cancel my check on my end???  Do they have it/don't have it?  I never received any late payment notices...hmmmm, I wonder why?  What's going on?  Honestly, I've never dealt with anything like this company before.  No information...no explanations...no resolutions.  Dead phone air talking to operators there.  

I read online some changes coming in 2020.  Gee, could that be the cause of these sudden antics?!

They won't remove late fee charge so I'm going to have to eat that cost along with my stop payment cost.  Oh yeah---and you can't stop service and only pay up to that point...you must pay out the whole month whether you want it or not.

So I will pay in person today (I don't trust their online system), pay 2 months now, and say good riddance to the once great satellite company/service known as Direct TV.  

R.I.P. Direct TV.

Trusted Contributor

While I don't have Direct TV, we have Uverse with great success, I believe you will need to call to cancel so they can send you boxes for the return.  The AT&T stores don't carry the equipment for Direct TV or Uverse so they can't take it.

Years ago when we had Comcast we took our equipment to their service center and told them we were cancelling.  They kept sending us a bill even though they had record of us returning the equipment.  When I called they said it had to be over the phone.  Lesson learned cancel over the phone.

Honored Contributor

Off topic, but I don’t trust the mail these days to mail a check for any bills unless there is no other option. I pay Direct online and have never had an issue.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I cancelled my Direct TV over the phone.  They never sent me anything about returning my old receivers so I threw them in the garbage.   Roofers took dish down when I got a new roof so there's no sign Direct was ever here.

Those could have been recycled. When I upgraded my Directv service, I took the old receivers to the recycling place....city service, it's free.

Super Contributor

@Loves Purple I can help you with your question. I have Hulu along with my cable company which is Suddenlink. Hulu Live is more expensive but you can watch programming when it is on TV. It's normal time and day. If you opt for just Hulu, then programming is a day later. I use Hulu mostly for catching up on shows I have missed and for its original programming. I believe Hulu gives you a free trial of 7 days. Hulu cost me $5.99 plus tax per month and I get my money's worth. They have a large library of past TV shows to watch along with movies and documentaries.