Valued Contributor

Canceling Direct TV Question

I've had it and am cutting the cord tomorrow.  Dealing wiith AT&T is an absolute nightmare and I refuse to call Customer Service again ever since they took over Direct TV.  Has anyone who have cancelled Direct TV, were you able to do this at an in-store AT&T authorized retailier?  I know certain locations allow you to pay your bill in-store but would love to cancel my service right there.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Canceling Direct TV Question

@Lattelvr wrote:

I've had it and am cutting the cord tomorrow.  Dealing wiith AT&T is an absolute nightmare and I refuse to call Customer Service again ever since they took over Direct TV.  Has anyone who have cancelled Direct TV, were you able to do this at an in-store AT&T authorized retailier?  I know certain locations allow you to pay your bill in-store but would love to cancel my service right there.  

I don't know but we did it by phone with no problem. Felt the same as you. We now have  

You Tube TV and Philo at under half the cost Direct TV/AT&T and I like it better.  Which surprised me becasue I loved direct tv before att got involved.

Valued Contributor

A little background to my AT&T/Direct TV issue.  I sent a check in and they never credited it to my account.  Now they are charging me a late fee on top of my old bill in addition to my new bill.  They claim they don't know where my check is?  Yet when I said I will cancel my check with the bank they said, oh no, don't do that your check might be here.  What?   Are you kidding me.  I noticed many complaints online and I'm now added to that list so I am going to get rid of them.  Dealing with this issue has been a nightmare.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@Lattelvr wrote:

I don't know but we did it by phone with no problem. Felt the same as you. We now have  

You Tube TV and Philo at under half the cost Direct TV/AT&T and I like it better.  Which surprised me becasue I loved direct tv before att got involved.

Yes!  I hear you.  Direct TV was fine until AT&T took over.  Increasing rates and now sudden biling issues.  Really?  I'm done with them and I've had them for over 10 years so it's bye, bye!  I'm giong to check out the You Tube TV.  I 'm  actually doing some research online now and comparing all the TV streams, etc.  I'm pleasantly surprised at what's out there and all the choices.  

Honored Contributor

I cancelled my Direct TV over the phone.  They never sent me anything about returning my old receivers so I threw them in the garbage.   Roofers took dish down when I got a new roof so there's no sign Direct was ever here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I cancelled DirecTv three months ago afyer 20 years.  Did it over the phone and they sent me a ore paid box to return my receivers.  AT&T ruined the service once they took over. I went with Dish and couldn't be happier.  My bill is 1/2 of what I was paying with great service and all the channels I wanted.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lattelvr- We disconnected via the telephone and had to return the equipment via Fedex store or you can use UPS.  You don't have to pay for shipping.

Respected Contributor

We've had nothing but trouble, from a payment perspective, since AT&T took over Directtv. They've sent us emails telling us our payment was late twice in the past 5 months, only to credit our account once they processed the initial/timely payment. We NEVER had this problem with Directtv.  DH is hooked on NFL Ticket, but I'm ready to cut the cord. 

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

We've had nothing but trouble, from a payment perspective, since AT&T took over Directtv. They've sent us emails telling us our payment was late twice in the past 5 months, only to credit our account once they processed the initial/timely payment. We NEVER had this problem with Directtv.  DH is hooked on NFL Ticket, but I'm ready to cut the cord. 

Yes!  Suspicious billing practices have occurred more than once to us.  However, this recent issue was the last straw for me.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I cancelled my Direct TV over the phone.  They never sent me anything about returning my old receivers so I threw them in the garbage.   Roofers took dish down when I got a new roof so there's no sign Direct was ever here.

I cancelled recently.  I was told to take my remotes and other indoor equipment to UPS to return.  The lady who waited on me at UPS told me to hang on to my receipt for 1 year. Direct TV said if the items were not returned  I would be charged. I can only imagine how much that would cost. Believe me I will kept the receipt.