Frequent Contributor

Re: Canceling Direct TV Question

@Lucylu12 How do you like YoutubeTV?  After you mentioned it, I heard some people talking about that service. I have DISH and am tired of the channel wars.  We just lost Fox, but I still get that channel through the antenna.  If I got Youtube TV I would probably get Philo too since it has some channels I really enjoy. 

Trusted Contributor

I definitely must be the odd one out here as I have never had one bit of problem with Directv at all.  I also have Directv at my seasonal home also and not one problem.  

No billing or late charges ever as I am signed up for automatic bill pay.  I am signed up this way for all my utilities and have NEVER once had a problem so hopefully my good luck will keep up in the respect.

Valued Contributor

I cancelled mine over the phone a couple of years ago.  I was told I would have to return the equipment and I would be sent the boxes.  After a couple of weeks I called to tell them I had not received the boxes.  They told me they would be coming,  They never arrived, I never returned equipment and I was never charged.  

Frequent Contributor

@texassunflower 

Thank you for the information. I was leaning to Hulu and will definitely try the free trial. It sounds like what I need. 

Honored Contributor

Once I told them I had already installed DISH, they ran out of excuses.  I'll go without TV before I go back to them.

Trusted Contributor

I will NEVER use Direct TV again. When my mother passed away and I needed to move my sweet dad in with me, I called to cancel their service in the house he was leaving. I was told that they hadn't fulfilled their last 2-year commitment so they were going to charge them a LOT of money. I explained again that my mother had DIED, which was not her choice and I didn't think they needed to be charged that termination fee.

I could not get through to a manager and that was the last thing I needed to worry about. The only option I was offered was that I could transfer their service to MY home and finish their commitment. I explained that I had my own service provider, but they didn't care. I disconnected the boxes and later found out that they had gone into my parents' checking account and took $400 to settle the bill.

I WILL NEVER EVER subscribe to Direct TV.

Regular Contributor

@Loves Purple wrote:

@estaw2000

I’m preparing to cut the cord and haven’t decided which way to go yet. May I ask what you’re not happy with Hulu about? That was one option I was considering. One of my concerns  is missing tv shows I’ve been watching for years that come on at certain days and times.

Is there a daily guide with Hulu or how do you know when to watch? Thank you for any information you or anyone can provide. 

I hope it’s ok to ask on this forum. Just realized I’m not on TV and Movies. 

I am not wild about the tv guide for over the air channels. I find it hard to use. Also some of the channels I liked on DirecTV are not available.I'm liking it better and as I said the price is good. I miss the Weather Channel & Hallmark.

Valued Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I will NEVER use Direct TV again. When my mother passed away and I needed to move my sweet dad in with me, I called to cancel their service in the house he was leaving. I was told that they hadn't fulfilled their last 2-year commitment so they were going to charge them a LOT of money. I explained again that my mother had DIED, which was not her choice and I didn't think they needed to be charged that termination fee.

I could not get through to a manager and that was the last thing I needed to worry about. The only option I was offered was that I could transfer their service to MY home and finish their commitment. I explained that I had my own service provider, but they didn't care. I disconnected the boxes and later found out that they had gone into my parents' checking account and took $400 to settle the bill.

I WILL NEVER EVER subscribe to Direct TV.

OMG, that's HORRIBLE!  It doesn't surprise me though about this company.  Online, there are many many complaints of the sleazy tactics AT&T/Direct TV  pull on their customers.  In my case, they sent a letter saying they were putting me in collections if I didn't pay asap.  Dealing with them was absolutely the worst experience.  I was so angry that I went physically to an AT&T store and paid my bill.  Oh, and the best part is they won't reimburse you if you cut the cord early on so they make you pay the entire next month out so I had to pay the whole month of January in addition to the December  payment that "they continue to say they can't locate."  I also read in an news bulletin online that their rates are going up again by the end of January.  I'm so glad I got rid of them.