Honored Contributor

Can't believe I was so careless

I just realized that I threw out a pair of Bella Luce earrings that I only wore once. I cleaned out drawers last week and threw out a bunch of those jewelry pouches and boxes that accumulate. I must have thought that they were in my jewel box, and I didn't check. Of course they weren't valuable, but they were pretty. So come on make me feel better, did any of you throw anything  away by mistake ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't believe I was so careless

@QVCkitty1

So sorry, easy to do, just a moment of inattention, and POOF!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I feel your pain.

Just this past week, I got into the shower and had forgotten to take off my solid gold earrings. I put them on the bathroom floor, and then got busy when I got out, forgetting about them. 

I was running the vacuum and hear one go up in (it was hiding under the shower curtain, way back in a corner where I didn't see it). 

I innocently thought that if I cut open the sweeper bag, it would be just fine. Afraid not! mangled by the beater bar.

They were a gift from my mom many years ago. Makes me sick.

Esteemed Contributor

I may have thrown out a Hallmark  light up "It's A Wonderful Life" ornament.  I re-organized all the Christmas decorations. A few days after everything went back up into the garage attic I realized I didn't remember seeing it.  I hope I find it next season!  I think I had it 15-20 years.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1  It wasn't me but my daddy.  About 25 years ago, my parents were moving.  They decided to donate their old Christmas tree to Goodwill and purchase a new one for the new house.  In doing so, my daddy forgot that he had stored the Christmas bell ornaments that his mother had given to me (only child/grandchild) since I was born, up to that point (24 total) in one of the boxes that they donated.  It tore him up once he realized it.  I told him that those were just "things" and family meant so much more.  That made him feel much better.  We haven't talked about it anymore.  There is no need to because to me, "things" really don't matter as much as our loved ones do.Heart

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

I kept my original wedding ring set in the pocket of a favorite jacket that I planned on keeping for several years. I wanted to pass the set on to my child in the future. I thought that if our house was ever burglarized, no one would ever look there for the diamond engagement ring and wedding band. Well after a couple years, I did throw the jacket out...rings and all. I still haven't forgiven myself.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio: That's upsetting. Because of the sentimental value, perhaps you could have the remaining earring made into a pendant or ring...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I once donated a bag of clothes that were meant for the dry cleaner (could be worse, at least it went to a good cause).

My Mom threw a beautiful hammered silver hair clip into the fireplace on Christmas (she had given it to me as a gift).  She was cleaning up wrapping paper and boxes and didn't realize the silver piece was still in a box .

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I feel your pain.  Last week after getting home from a massive grocery shopping trip, I had a few bags in one hand.  On that hand I wear a SS pinky ring with a little heart that belonged to my late mother.  Before I knew it a few minutes later, it was gone.  I looked in every shopping bag, on the floor, on the kitchen counter, etc. and didn't find it. It must have fallen off when I placed the bags down.  My stomach sank.  It was handcrafted in Mexico for her while she and my dad were on their honeymoon.  The band was twisted and the heart was puffed.  (((sigh)))  Woman Sad

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @QVCkitty1! Today I was briefly locked in my own garage!  I was just running in to put a trash bag in the city receptacle and trying to foil my cat Percy, who likes to dart into the garage, which he shouldn't do b/c rats are sometimes in transit this time of year.

After the door closed, and I deposited the trash bag and tried to open the door, I realized it was locked from the inside.  It is the kind of lock that can be worked open with a credit card, but I actually hadn't taken a credit card into the garage with me.  I was in my nightgown, just about to take my shower.

I felt like Robinson Crusoe, but of course there are tools in the garage and I tried a variety.  I thought a flexible hacksaw blade might work, but NO.  I thought briefly that I would spend the rest of my life in the (possibly) rat-transiting garage.  The phone rang inside.  That didn't help.  Percy started to cry, which didn't help, either.

It was only about fifteen minutes but it seemed like a long time.  I'd thought the screwdriver was too thick, but it did pop the lock after a few minutes of intense effort.  I was so glad to be inside!  Life is about the simple joys, including not being stuck in the garage in your nightgown for an extended period during the early morning.