Super Contributor

Re: Can't believe I was so careless

My stepmom was also someone who put her jewelry in odd places in case some broke into her home.  After she died I had to go through every single cupboard and drawer and did so more than once to make doubly sure nothing remained before we sold it. I was pretty convinced there was nothing left in the house.  

My husband stopped by on the way home from work and also goes through each cupboard and drawer for one last time and in the back of one cupboard found a box and inside the box was a gold necklace, a weighty piece at that.  I just was floored. The receipt was still in the box, it was from 1995 and the jewelry store had closed due to the owners retiring. The cupboards were dark and so was the box.  My husband said he felt it but didn't see it when he was inspecting the house.  That necklace almost found its way to the new owner.  

Respected Contributor

Last Spring, I went to weed in the backyard on a very windy day.  Later, when I was back inside, I noticed one of my earrings missing.  Not expensive, but I really liked it and they no longer have it in stock here.  So angry with myself - I looked and looked, but no luck. 

Valued Contributor

Just this Christmas, I purchased 75 Dollars worth of gift cards for my youngest son for a local shoe store. I left the grocery store and the small bag must have fallen out of the cart as I pushed it to my car to load the grocery items. I went back after I discovered they were missing, to no avail. Checked with the office, no one turned them in. I felt sick for a little while, but I then determined that maybe someone who really needed shoes found the gift cards. After all it was the Christmas season, and I had to reckon with my careless handling of the gift cards. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sorry to read about the losses that some of you have experienced. It made me think of a thread from a few years ago about using the St Anthony Prayer to locate lost things. I included the link if anyone is interested. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

For a few years in a row in the early 90's, my husband must have run out of ideas for Christmas gifts for me!  Four straight Christmases he gave me a pair of very  nice, expensive stud earrings.  Aquamarine (my birthstone), a diamond pair (with small diamonds) and another diamond pair with larger diamonds.

Well, we had to fly to another state for him to go on a job interview and I was staying in the motel room while he was interviewing.  I had on the pair of smaller diamond earrings.  When I went in the bathroom to remove them, I was standing over the sink (what a dummy), and when I took the backing off, the diamond earring fell into the sink's drain!!!

I couldn't believe I had been so dumb to stand over the sink!  And I am one who is sickeningly fearful of all things in a motel bathroom, so I wasn't about to try to take the drain out!!  Or stick my fingers down that drain!!

I called the front desk and asked if one of the maintenance people could come and try to retrieve it for me.  The guy came and tried, to no avail.   And yes, to all who are suspicious like me, I've often wondered if he came back after we checked out and amazingly found it!!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I just realized that I threw out a pair of Bella Luce earrings that I only wore once. I cleaned out drawers last week and threw out a bunch of those jewelry pouches and boxes that accumulate. I must have thought that they were in my jewel box, and I didn't check. Of course they weren't valuable, but they were pretty. So come on make me feel better, did any of you throw anything  away by mistake ?

@QVCkitty1

Yep! Every September 1st my hockey players fee were sent to me. Lots of checks for me to do my thing. Over those 52 years, I only did this once.

When double checking to make sure my math was exact(no calculators in the early decades. Number of checks did not match the amount I had added up for the total. Went over all them a 3rd time, still a no go.

Finally figured out I must have tossed 1 check into the trash with the envelope. Fortunately they had not picked up our trash that week? Dug through a few days of trash, and "whal-la", there was the envelope and the check.

Spent hours just doing this with my double check method, this added a few more hours working with numbers. Only 1 time in those 52 years that I made that mistake, guess I am a quick learner, when it comes to money, and I never forgot that mistake. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago my mom threw away a diamond ring that she had wrapped in a Kleenex tissue and put into her purse.   The next day she was cleaning out her purse and threw away several "used" tissues, including the one with the ring. By the time she realized what she had done, it was too late. She mourned the loss of that ring for a long time. Because of that, I never ever wrap anything valuable in a tissue. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123    Same thing happened to me with a necklace going down the drain in a hotel....(Squirrel Hill Hilton)......Lucky for me, the maintenance man took the whole U-trap out and saved my gem.    I learned my lesson........and am SO EXTRA CAREFUL................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Not thrown away but lost being careless.

For some reason I was out and took my claddagh ring off and stuck it in my pocket.

I guess when I reached in for something else, it flew out without me knowing it.

My husband had given it to me and even though we did replace it, the replacement just isn't the same.

Honored Contributor

I have done this in years past, looked over and over for them, could not find them ,i remembered do some clearing out of things, it drove me crazy for weeks, it was a pair of earrings in one case, here is the strange thing, months later, after praying that i could find them, one day i just opened my jewelry box, there they were, i had looked there so many times, just weird.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.