Respected Contributor

My friend and I are going camping this weekend.  Haven't gone since I was young and we are having to rough it since all cabins were reserved.

Hoping to get some recommendations here.  I know most folks probably prefer to camp with a trailer or reserve a cabin but we don't have that option.  This is a trip I've wanted to take, it's on my bucket list.

My friend has done this before but I've never camped in this way.  We do have a tent and she has a cot, I have an air mattress.  So, other than telling me I'm crazy, which I already accept, please feel free to give any advice or a list of things I might forget, or anything. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

not my cup of tea. Perhaps others will offer some suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Not me.........I prefer room service

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Camping anyone?

[ Edited ]

I don't think that you are crazy for tent camping.

To me, that is real  camping!

There is nothing like sitting around a campfire, making s'mores, enjoying the sounds of nature, staring in to the crackling fire.

Waking up in the morning, to the cool, crisp air, and seeing nature come to life.

I remember tent camping  my parents when I was a kid, and I loved snuggling down in to my sleeping bag.

You are going to want to have a Coleman camp stove so that you can cook.

They take propane, and tanks come in various sizes.

You will want to take a percolator type coffee maker, a cooking pan, a cooler or two with all of your food in it, pillow, flashlight.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Camping anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Kalli Toilet paper, sunscreen, bug spray, flashlght, extra batteries, cap, clothes to layer, first aid kit, matches or lighter if you will be cooking outdoors, make sure cell phone is fully charged.  Have fun!

Honored Contributor

If there are other campers around you, be sure not to leave your camping spot unattended with anything of value or need locked in your car.  We made that mistake last time I went.  We were at a campground and we purchased firewood  When we returned from a walk to the lake, all our firewood  and food was stolen.  I never went again.

Honored Contributor

Camping isn't my cup of tea either, unless my campsite is the Hilton! 🤣🤙😂

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Frequent Contributor

You don't say anything about the weather but if it's going to be cool at night (or cold), you will need a layer between your air mattress and your warm sleeping bag.  A doubled wool blanket, quilt or even another sleeping bag to insulate you from the cold air in the air mattress will make the difference between sleep and shivering all night.  Trust me!  (All my camping has been in a tent... Love it.). Have fun!

Respected Contributor

@Kalli  It sounds like quite an adventure.  You are a brave soul. Smiley Happy

If you have access to a Foodsaver, put your essentials in there to keep them dry.

Please let us know how it went when you return.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Super Contributor

All toiletries in a large ziplock bag +quarters in case the showers are quarter driven

firewood, lighter, lighter bars, grill or grate from home to put over fire to hold up your pans, long metal scewers for marshmellows or hot dogs, TP, wipes or pump soap

slice & butter, pepper, salt  some baking potatoes wrapped in foil for the campfire

more gaterade, and water than you think you'll need

pots, skillet, spoons, pancake turner, hot pads, long fork, plastic cutlery, paper plates

towels, blankets, flashlights, whistle, first aid kit, backpack, rope or bungie cords 

shoes, socks, clothes, jacket, beanie, gloves, cell phone,waterproof lanyard case for phone/keys/money/ID, camera, back-up glasses, meds, sunglasses, aloe vera

granola bars, burgers, hotdogs, buns,eggs, lunchmeats, cheese, bread,snacks, fruit, hard candy, gum, condiments

instant coffee, cocoa, tea,sugar, pancake mix, plastic bowl to mix batter, milk, sm cereals, paper bowls, canned soup, baked beans, chili, veggies, baggies, dish soap

cooler, ice, can openers, rope for tying between trees to dry towels/clothes, shovel