Super Contributor

Re: California Becomes First State to Ban Plastic Bags

Gotcha brii and Cakers. I guess it's different living in an apartment building and having to throw smaller bags down a compactor chute.

Honored Contributor

focksie, those chutes aren't very big. I know my dad lives in a condo with a chute. He manages to get the garbage bags down. It does take some effort though.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Peachysue said:

Should be mandatory to recycle said plastic bags- we recycle all of ours...

I agree, it should be mandatory.

We've had a 5 cent tax on plastic bags in DC for a while now, a year or two. It works, people just carry their 1 or 2 items, or bring recyclable bags.

Honored Contributor

Is the ban just for supermarkets?
Honored Contributor

We recycle our plastic bags by returning them to a bin for same at our local grocery store. We keep a few to line waste paper baskets and to use for garbage.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 tansy said: Is the ban just for supermarkets?

I haven't read the state law but in my city it was not just for supermarkets. It included all retail businesses. I believe there were a couple of exceptions but I can't recall what they were.

Now if everyone had recycled their bags it wouldn't be a problem. But they don't. And then the bags would end up littering the streets, waterways, etc. Not only unsightly but bad for the environment.

Honored Contributor

I would think it's for all retail stores, including grocery stores and not just those of the 'supermarket' variety.

It's a good thing.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 scotttie said:

One would think Gov. Brown would have bigger things to worry about in California than plastic bags.

Plastic bags are a serious threat to the environment and to animals and sea life. It's a big deal and thankfully, CA is once again leading the way.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

The thing that always gets me about plastic bags in the grocery store is how many the bagger will use. Many times there will only be one item in the bag and could have easily fit into another one.
Respected Contributor

They were gone in Hawaii when we went there in January this year. Walmart had nothing to put groceries in at the counter leaving customers to put items one by one in the trunks.