Super Contributor

Came across this old recipe from my Mom...and tried others...all yummy

Box chocolate cake mix, can cherry pie filling, 3 eggs, almond extract(optional)

13x9 pan...mix by hand till all blended

Box lemon cake mix, can of lemon pie filling, cup of water, 3 eggs. Mix with beater, same pan

will try yellow cake cinnamon and applie pie filing next

Any body else have box cake hacks??

Respected Contributor

I have a whole cook book full of cake mix hack called The Cake Mix Doctor.  I have made one or two cakes from the book but I am not a big fan of cake mixes.  The book was gift from my BFF who knows I like to bake.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's fun, @ProudMa --  my sister had told me of one similar to your chocolate/cherry pie filling one,  that I had lost track of.  It's super to have quickie things to whip up when the need for sweet treats is urgent!  Thank you for your thoughtfulness in posting these.

This one from the Minimal Mom, has 4 ingredients, but still quick.  A hit with the guys in my fam., and the bars are easy to transport to pot-lucks, etc.

Quick Lazy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars  (I've made it also with blueberries instead of chocolate chips.)

One box of yellow cake mix.  One bag choc. chips.  One stick of butter.  2 eggs.

Melt butter, whisk in eggs.  Mix in cake mix and chocolate chips.  Put in greased pan.

Bake at 350 degrees 20 minutes (if using 9x13 pan.)  Smaller pans,  25-28 minutes.

Cut into bars.

Contributor

Your Mother had good taste.   I have been making this recipe for years. . .it is the 1974 Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner. . .appeared on the  cover of the booklet.  I also make it in a 10x15 pan. . .serves many.  Frost with a favorite chocolate fudge frosting. . .you will love to add it to your favorites, and will always get compliments.  

Honored Contributor

The lemon one sounds really good.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

going to try some of these!

https://cakemixdoctor.com/cake-recipes/

Frequent Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

going to try some of these!

https://cakemixdoctor.com/cake-recipes/

Thanks.  That's a great link...

Trusted Contributor

I have made the one with one can of crushed pineapple and juice and a box of angel food cake mix. I baked it in a 9x13 pan for about 40 minutes. Yummy with Cool Whip on top.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to make and decorate cakes back in the 80's to sell

I used milk instead of water and extra egg in the cake mix

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa I have a question about the lemon cake, at what temp do you cook this and for how long?   My whole family loves lemon and I currently have a cake mix and some lemon pie filling at the ready so can you help me out, please.