Honored Contributor

I read that substituting the oil for butter and the water for milk from a box cake mix makes the cake tastes better. I tried it, and personally, I didn’t notice any difference. 

Esteemed Contributor

This time of year I always like to make two ingredient pumpkin spice cake.  Just one can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) and one box of spice cake mix.  No other ingredients - just stir and bake. It makes delicious sheet cake or cupcakes. And today I finally scored some Libby's canned pumpkin. Yahoo!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   what is the difference between a can of pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@shoesnbags   what is the difference between a can of pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling?

@Mom2Dogs 

"Canned pumpkin is just that and nothing more: cooked, pureed pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling is flavored with spices like cinnamon, clove, allspice and ginger, and is also sweetened. It is a "convenience food" for making short work of pumpkin pie."

You don't need more sugar & spices, because that's already in the cake mix.  You just want plain pumpkin for this "recipe."

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I have made the one with one can of crushed pineapple and juice and a box of angel food cake mix. I baked it in a 9x13 pan for about 40 minutes. Yummy with Cool Whip on top.

@Lisa now in AZ , back in the day, weight watchers used to give this recipe out because it was a low fat/low point treat.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

This time of year I always like to make two ingredient pumpkin spice cake.  Just one can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) and one box of spice cake mix.  No other ingredients - just stir and bake. It makes delicious sheet cake or cupcakes. And today I finally scored some Libby's canned pumpkin. Yahoo!

@shoesnbags , this is another weight watchers recipe.  But there was a little water in the recipe they gave us.  These made excellent muffins.  That is very good made with chocolate cake mix and carrot cake mix too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@shoesnbags , this is another weight watchers recipe.  But there was a little water in the recipe they gave us.  These made excellent muffins.  That is very good made with chocolate cake mix and carrot cake mix too.

That's interesting.  I have seen this same recipe from a number of sources and there is never any added water.  And they're definitely not dry. 

So now I have to try the chocolate version.  Do you still taste the pumpkin?  I have a brownie recipe that uses canned black beans of all things, and you don't taste the beans at all.  And the carrot cake version sounds delish!

Honored Contributor

@

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

"Canned pumpkin is just that and nothing more: cooked, pureed pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling is flavored with spices like cinnamon, clove, allspice and ginger, and is also sweetened. It is a "convenience food" for making short work of pumpkin pie."

You don't need more sugar & spices, because that's already in the cake mix.  You just want plain pumpkin for this "recipe."

I wonder if I have ever seen pumpkin pie FILLING...I always add more spices to the pumpkin when I buy it....thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

I wonder if I have ever seen pumpkin pie FILLING...I always add more spices to the pumpkin when I buy it....thanks!

@Mom2Dogs 

In my store the filling is on the baking aisle and the canned pumpkin used to be with the canned vegetables.  (Although today it was displayed on an end cap.)  So depending upon which aisle you were on, you could buy one without ever seeing the other.  Maybe that's what you did.

Honored Contributor

Pumpkin pie filling is also in a larger can; usually a 28 oz can, compared to a 15 oz can for pumpkin purée.