Honored Contributor

So, the first experimental vaccine has been given, not to see if it's effective against the virus, but to see if it's safe.

I sure wouldn't want to be the experimental person.

Would you?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, the first experimental vaccine has been given, not to see if it's effective against the virus, but to see if it's safe.

I sure wouldn't want to be the experimental person.

Would you?

Definitely not.  I wonder what the renumeration is for the guinea pig?  

Honored Contributor

I’ve participated in two experimental drug studies.  Both drugs are now on the market.

No remunerations.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I read where it is being tried out in Seattle, which was the city hardest hit in the US!

Honored Contributor

That's a very brave person. I'm grateful to them. Little acts of heroism like this are what we need right now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

I read where it is being tried out in Seattle, which was the city hardest hit in the US!

I would do it , but I am over the Age limit they were using for the study. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

I would do it , but I am over the Age limit they were using for the study. 

@SeaMaiden same here or I'd do it too.

Respected Contributor

I am concerned that animal testing (or should I say non-human testing) is not being done by at least one of the companies rushing to produce the first vaccine to make it to the finish line, and I suspect this is due to greed.   I am concerned that Moderna (one of the companies rushing to bring a vaccine to market) has only tested 4 people with their vaccine, allegedly, and there are supposed to be 45 healthy people enrolled in their initial safety trial. Will this company go forward with their vaccine if only 4 people have volunteered to test it?  Considering the known possibility of "vaccine enhancement" (or more severe lung infilltration by the virus) which is what has kept a prior coronavirus vaccine from being approved, and for the work on the vaccine to have been abandoned, I am very concerned that vaccine experts are extremely concerned (Offit, Fauci, and Hotez) about the potential for a new coronavirus vaccine that has bypassed proper animal testing to make a person sicker with coronavirus than someone who did not receive a vaccine against it.  I am concerned that at least two of the companies trying to make a vaccine have never successfully brought a vaccine of any type to the marketplace.  

In short, I think we all need to be concerned. 

Honored Contributor

I'd rather human volunteers than animals who have no say in the matter.

Respected Contributor

I think we are the first country to test it.