Honored Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

I would confirm they actually earned their grades and someone else wasn’t paid to take their tests for them.
Honored Contributor

I was referring to an MD
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Now students will have an “ adversity score” based on 1-100, included in their SAT score. Students won’t see the score but it will be submitted to their schools along with their test grade....it will take into account zip codes, type of neighborhood, socio economic data,  crime statistics, etc. They are reporting this as brand new, but when one of my DDs applied to law school in 2007, the only school that didn’t accept her said our zip code had too many attorneys so she would not be “contributing to the diversity of careers in our state”. Ridiculous, right?  Was accepted at 9 other ones and offered fellowships....adversity scores sound like affirmative action with a new name. Does this mean someone who achieves a super low score but lives in a crime-ridden, low-income area would be admitted based on their adversity score? Do you think this is fair? 1-100 sure is a lot of leeway.

Not sure what this has to do with Operation Varsity Blues?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 

Just another way to take a jab at minorities and low income students if you ask me.   

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Mj12 

Just another way to take a jab at minorities and low income students if you ask me.   

@SoX, ya think? :-) And it's a blatantly controversial post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I've been reading more about Adam Semprevivo and his lawsuit against Georgetown and wanted to clarify some things I may have gotten wrong:

His high school transcript shows that he did not play tennis, but played basketball.  So, he must have known what was going on when he was recruited by (but did not play on) the Georgetown tennis team.  He still contends he didn't know about his father's payments.

Secondly, Georgetown has said that it does not revoke credits earned when students are dismissed or disciplined.  It will note on transcripts the reasons for expulsion/dismissal and let any new institution decide to accept or decline the credits.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I havent gotten a chance to read back nor do a search on credits lost but since you mentioned it, it doesnt sound correct that the DA can take that away from the students. I wonder if it was USC that sent out a bulletin or geez maybe I dreamt it, not sure where I got that. Sorry to post misinformation.   Smiley Embarassed

Thank you for all of your updates on this topic, I really appreciate them.

Esteemed Contributor

The Wall Street Journal has reported, and other outlets have picked up the story that Singer advised a number of students to misrepresent their minority status on applications.

The son of Marjorie Klapper, who has entered a guilty plea relating to ACT test scores which were corrected by a proctor, was advised to falsely claim black and Hispanic status on an application.

In addition, Singer suggested that numerous applicants claim Native American status based upon very tenuous, distant relative connections while at least one applicant is said to have no Native American connection but used that representation. 

Assistant U.S. Attorney Eric Rosen a prosecutor in the case, said that Singer's tactics in this regard were "an attempt to take advantage of perceived benefits from affirmative action and other programs."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My take on this.  Having some take the test for you or having the test altered is downright outright wrong.  This is taking a place away from someone who earned it.

But I do have a HOWEVER AND BUT.... everyone out there has friends, relatives, connections of some sort and GETS SOME ADVANTAGE in life because of these contacts.  And if I am a good neighbor someone will do something for me in return with no ill intentions.  It is called being human.  We all do it with no malice.  This  was an overboard thing, taking unfair advantage.  BUT  HOW ABOUT THE WEALTHY FAMILY WHO DONATES A STADIUM OR A BUILDING OR SCHOLARSHIPS FOR OTHERS.... will their children GET IN with less effort than the crowd?  I think so.

And is your parents went to THAT SCHOOL don't you get a way in easier?  This was the case when I applied to college.... eons ago.

I remember clearly long ago my father taking me up to Rhode Island to check out Brown-Pembroke University because he happened to go there. He  thought I would GET IN because of him.  In was not in my plan.  Sorry guys who live there  I didn't want to go to Rhode  Island his home state.  So I told everyone who would listen.  I just remember being told I HAD AN ADVANTAGE which I didn't want anyway.  

My point:  Everyone benefits somewhere... but this changing scores,  answers, etc  is OVER THE LINE.  

Should they be arrested and have jail time.... I am against that.  They were HELPING THEIR CHILDREN AND PERHAPS THEY WERE TOLD "EVERYONE WHO CAN IS DOING IT."

I just think with all that money they should set up a scholarship for someone who deserves it... time served.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

My take on this.  Having some take the test for you or having the test altered is downright outright wrong.  This is taking a place away from someone who earned it.

But I do have a HOWEVER AND BUT.... everyone out there has friends, relatives, connections of some sort and GETS SOME ADVANTAGE in life because of these contacts.  And if I am a good neighbor someone will do something for me in return with no ill intentions.  It is called being human.  We all do it with no malice.  This  was an overboard thing, taking unfair advantage.  BUT  HOW ABOUT THE WEALTHY FAMILY WHO DONATES A STADIUM OR A BUILDING OR SCHOLARSHIPS FOR OTHERS.... will their children GET IN with less effort than the crowd?  I think so.

And is your parents went to THAT SCHOOL don't you get a way in easier?  This was the case when I applied to college.... eons ago.

I remember clearly long ago my father taking me up to Rhode Island to check out Brown-Pembroke University because he happened to go there. He  thought I would GET IN because of him.  In was not in my plan.  Sorry guys who live there  I didn't want to go to Rhode  Island his home state.  So I told everyone who would listen.  I just remember being told I HAD AN ADVANTAGE which I didn't want anyway.  

My point:  Everyone benefits somewhere... but this changing scores,  answers, etc  is OVER THE LINE.  

Should they be arrested and have jail time.... I am against that.  They were HELPING THEIR CHILDREN AND PERHAPS THEY WERE TOLD "EVERYONE WHO CAN IS DOING IT."

I just think with all that money they should set up a scholarship for someone who deserves it... time served.  

@bonnielu   Is this a serious post????

Being a "good neighbor" has nothing to do with this scandal.  Why would somebody have "ill intentions" toward a neighbor who did something nice???

So their prosecutions are "ill intentions"??

I NEVER brought my son with a feeling that I can justify doing something wrong because I want to help him.  Helping him succeed in life means teaching him to take responsibility, earn what he has on his own merit, and most of all not to cheat and be dishonest.

Even if you could prove that they were told "everyone else is doing it" NEVER justifies doing something wrong.  NEVER.  Those parents knew what they were doing-and I don't believe for one minute that they were so stupid that they jumped right off the cliff with others.

Your post is nonsense.  I guarantee there are posters here, like myself, who actually earned their way in life on their own without "contacts" and "advantages".

Our children were brought up the same and in turn so are our grandchldren.

Guess we all should have lied and cheated instead.  What a waste of time being honest and hard-working; what fools we were.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh