Respected Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

@mom2four0418 Thank you!

@lovesrecess wrote:

As someone who taught kids with LDs for decades, if her daughter had been diagnosed as LD, it would be easy to prove my looking at her transcript. I have never heard of Drs treating LD. There are accommodations allowed by the College Boards...but you have to apply for them and they are not always granted. They are doing away with extra time because it has been abused so much...I think they are doing away with time limits altogether...which is a shame, but when parents abuse the system, everyone pays. Now you can retake the SAT over again to raise your score. When I took it, you had one chance....that was all. If accommodations are granted, the test result will say “ accommodated administration”. Perhaps Huffman didn’t want that on her daughter’s test results.

Anyone is allowed to retake SAT and ACT tests and accommodations are provided with documented learning disabilities.  A neuropsychologist does certainly evaluate and treat learning disabilities

@lovesrecess  As a teacher who has taught LD students, your remark surprises me.  A child who has been diagnosed with a learning disability is under a neuropsychologist or child psychologist's care due to medication involved.  It is included in the child's school record and noted by the guidance counselor.  It is not arbitrarily decided by the parents or the teacher without an actual diagnosis.  Just because in your experience you have never "heard" of it, does not make it so.

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@mom2four0418 Thank you!

@lovesrecess wrote:

As someone who taught kids with LDs for decades, if her daughter had been diagnosed as LD, it would be easy to prove my looking at her transcript. I have never heard of Drs treating LD. There are accommodations allowed by the College Boards...but you have to apply for them and they are not always granted. They are doing away with extra time because it has been abused so much...I think they are doing away with time limits altogether...which is a shame, but when parents abuse the system, everyone pays. Now you can retake the SAT over again to raise your score. When I took it, you had one chance....that was all. If accommodations are granted, the test result will say “ accommodated administration”. Perhaps Huffman didn’t want that on her daughter’s test results.

Anyone is allowed to retake SAT and ACT tests and accommodations are provided with documented learning disabilities.  A neuropsychologist does certainly evaluate and treat learning disabilities

@lovesrecess  As a teacher who has taught LD students, your remark surprises me.  A child who has been diagnosed with a learning disability is under a neuropsychologist or child psychologist's care due to medication involved.  It is included in the child's school record and noted by the guidance counselor.  It is not arbitrarily decided by the parents or the teacher without an actual diagnosis.  Just because in your experience you have never "heard" of it, does not make it so.

I think that what these practitioners are licensed for can vary from state to state. Where I am, neuropsychologists evaluate and treat learning disabilities. Neither they nor psychologists prescribe medicine. I was very surprised at the remark. Perhaps she was a teacher many, many years ago.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Speculation is that the second Georgetown student to be expelled is Isabelle Henriquez.  Her father is the hedge fund manager who resigned his post after being charged.

She is the student who allegedly sat in the testing room with the sham proctor as they cheated together, and "gloated" with her mother about it afterwards.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418   Thanks for your comments.  I wasn't clear in my remarks regarding medication, child psychologists are allowed to prescribe, at least in the States of NY, Maryland and Florida.  Neuropsychologists are not.  In re reading my remarks it looks as if I am say they are.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Honored Contributor

Oh I think Felicity Huffman should get some time. Perhaps a few months in Club Fed and a big fine. Nothing more or less than any one of us if we did the same.  

Honored Contributor

The daughters are the ones who are true victims. I am sure they trusted their parents enough to think they would never do something illegal...no winners in any of this scandal
Respected Contributor

I think that anyone who immediately pleads guilty should pay a heavy fine and I don't think going to jail truly serves any purpose.  They are very wealthy, well connected people, instead of going to jail sometime of community service, in a big way to help the underprivileged would be better.  For the ones who are fighting it, saying they didn't think they did anything wrong, well I think those folks, if found guilty, should pay heavy fines, some jail time and then some community service.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another Oh Oh! for Lori and Mossimo.

Reports are that the prosecution will call as a witness the guidance counselor at Olivia Jade's high school.  This counselor questioned her admission to USC as a crew athlete.  This led to a very heated confrontation with Mossimo, who wanted the counselor to back off  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hayfield wrote:

I think that anyone who immediately pleads guilty should pay a heavy fine and I don't think going to jail truly serves any purpose.  They are very wealthy, well connected people, instead of going to jail sometime of community service, in a big way to help the underprivileged would be better.  For the ones who are fighting it, saying they didn't think they did anything wrong, well I think those folks, if found guilty, should pay heavy fines, some jail time and then some community service.  

@Hayfield, I have no particular opinion as to the punishment for those who plead guilty, other than it should be less than for those who may eventually be convicted.

But I don't think that ANY sentencing should take into account the wealth of the suspects. That's not how our system SHOULD work.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now students will have an “ adversity score” based on 1-100, included in their SAT score. Students won’t see the score but it will be submitted to their schools along with their test grade....it will take into account zip codes, type of neighborhood, socio economic data,  crime statistics, etc. They are reporting this as brand new, but when one of my DDs applied to law school in 2007, the only school that didn’t accept her said our zip code had too many attorneys so she would not be “contributing to the diversity of careers in our state”. Ridiculous, right?  Was accepted at 9 other ones and offered fellowships....adversity scores sound like affirmative action with a new name. Does this mean someone who achieves a super low score but lives in a crime-ridden, low-income area would be admitted based on their adversity score? Do you think this is fair? 1-100 sure is a lot of leeway.