Respected Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

@Johnnyeager  I can understand Georgetown expelling the students due to their references being a falsehood.  But as a student, they earned the credits for the courses they took.  I feel that the credits should be transferred, they were earned by the student regardless of bribes for admission to Georgetown.

Am I missing something?

Esteemed Contributor

From what I've read in various news reports, Adam offered to withdraw after his father pleaded guilty, so long as he could take all his credits with him.  The school refused and started disciplinary proceedings.  Then, he filed the suit.  That's all I've heard so far.

USA Today has a pretty lengthy explanation of the details.

Honored Contributor

I don't think Huffman should get jail time, I don't know anyone who does.  What she did was morally wrong and illegal but not even close to what those other parents did.  You cannot compare $2500 to cheat on the SAT's to $500K to fabricate admissions qualifications.  That's not even in the same ball park.  Also Huffman smartly showed remorse, admitted her crime and will await her fate.  Although she is trying to weasel out with neurology business.  Laughable though it is.  If her kid had a real medical condition that would quality for special consideration for SAT testing....she'd have gone the legitimate route.  Community service and a heft fine would be fair.

Esteemed Contributor

From what some reports say, Adam had legitimate SAT and high school GPA to qualify under Georgetown's academic standards, but his father wanted him recruited to the tennis team as added insurance! 

I believe this is a case where the father said Adam did not know about the bribe (apparently, he did actually play tennis).

Esteemed Contributor

I am astounded that Lori Laughlin thinks she will not spend any time in jail and she still thinks she didn't do anything wrong!!!  I just read an article in which she is angered that her reputation has been tarnished by the publicity. Bribery is a crime!!!!  She knew exactly what she was doing and has shown no remorse.

At least Felicity Huffman admitted what she did and apologized.  I do find it odd that she paid to have her child's SAT scores improved by 400 points.  Did it never occur to her that it would be extremely difficult for her child to get decent grades in school????

As for the entitled daughters of the other one, they need to grow up.  They obviously posed for the photos submitted for crew.  The younger one is shown in many videos stating she doesn't bother going to classes;  her YouTube business was earning lots of money.  Yet she had no problem taking away a spot at school for a student who worked hard and got good grades.  

I am disgusted by these self absorbed, entitled snobs.  Many have never done an honest days work ever!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Students being expelled and losing their credits if guilt was found with the parents was spelled out in the language of the prosecutors charging papers, whether a guilty plea was entered or found guilty at trial. I remember reading this early on when the story broke.

Seems this young man would have been expelled anyway, when his father entered a guilty plea.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't think that the federal prosecutors could compel a private institution to expel a student.  That would be up to each school's disciplinary procedures.  I have read virtually all of the original complaints and indictments and did not see the government say that anywhere  That's not their role in the proceedings..

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

As someone who taught kids with LDs for decades, if her daughter had been diagnosed as LD, it would be easy to prove my looking at her transcript. I have never heard of Drs treating LD. There are accommodations allowed by the College Boards...but you have to apply for them and they are not always granted. They are doing away with extra time because it has been abused so much...I think they are doing away with time limits altogether...which is a shame, but when parents abuse the system, everyone pays. Now you can retake the SAT over again to raise your score. When I took it, you had one chance....that was all. If accommodations are granted, the test result will say “ accommodated administration”. Perhaps Huffman didn’t want that on her daughter’s test results.

Anyone is allowed to retake SAT and ACT tests and accommodations are provided with documented learning disabilities.  A neuropsychologist does certainly evaluate and treat learning disabilities.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager , I dont have time right now but I will look around and see if I can find it.

Respected Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I am astounded that Lori Laughlin thinks she will not spend any time in jail and she still thinks she didn't do anything wrong!!!  I just read an article in which she is angered that her reputation has been tarnished by the publicity. Bribery is a crime!!!!  She knew exactly what she was doing and has shown no remorse.

At least Felicity Huffman admitted what she did and apologized.  I do find it odd that she paid to have her child's SAT scores improved by 400 points.  Did it never occur to her that it would be extremely difficult for her child to get decent grades in school????

As for the entitled daughters of the other one, they need to grow up.  They obviously posed for the photos submitted for crew.  The younger one is shown in many videos stating she doesn't bother going to classes;  her YouTube business was earning lots of money.  Yet she had no problem taking away a spot at school for a student who worked hard and got good grades.  

I am disgusted by these self absorbed, entitled snobs.  Many have never done an honest days work ever!

FYI-People with learning disabilities go to college and thrive academically.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky