Honored Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

I honestly don't understand these parents. If they think they can  teach their kids to lie their way through life, and they won't get caught, they are poor parents imo

I would rather teach my kids to make the most of the talents they possess ,and to learn new skills, even if it takes a while, and is hard work

Do they think that people won't be able to spot their shortcomings out in the workplace?

I am not impressed with any of them.

They all had the financial resources to hire tutors ,and get their kids into the best schools during their formative years

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Felicity's daughter Sofia Macy has been under the care of a neuropsychologist since she was 8 years old.  And the guidance counselors at her high school, I am sure, were aware of her treatment.  She had received extra time on exams throughout her schooling.  I have no reason to believe now that Felicity cheated on this aspect of the events.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I don't feel Felicity Huffman would lie about her daughter having a learning disability when it can easily be checked through her school.  She stated that her daughter was under doctor's care as well, sorry I don't recall the type of doctor.  I don't feel she would lie, now, at this point when it could be disproved.  Why expose your daughter as having a learning disability since an early age if it wasn't true.  She fully admitted to having the proctor change the answers, I don't think she would take the chance and lie in front of a Federal Judge and have her sentence placed in jeopardy.  I have no doubt that evidence was submitted to the prosecutors of a learning disability when they were negotiating a plea bargain.

Interesting comment by a lawyer not involved in the lawsuit, that the way Felicity Huffman has admitted to her crime has made it even more difficult for others.  The lawyer said if there was a perfect way to plead guilty, Felicity Huffman was an excellent example.  She plead guilty swiftly, wrote a letter showing remorse, has kept an extremely low profile and fully accepted responsibility of her actions.

What did surprise me is the wait till September for sentencing.  I did think it would be sooner and before Lori Loughlin's next court appearance

Stay tuned!.

@Somertime   I never said she lied.  I said that if she had gone through the proper procedure documentation would be required by the college board and  yes, her daughter would be allowed extended time.

Changing the answers on the test have nothing to do with disability. 

Two different issues.

I understand why she needed more time for her daughter; of course that can be proven in court.  However, it didn't justify the proctor changing answers.

I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  My comments were not directed toward you, otherwise, I would have mentioned you in my comments.

The comments I made was a general comment regarding the learning disabilities of her child and my feelings regarding it.

Sorry if you felt my comments were directed toward you.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I just read that Lori Louglin doesn't believe she should face any jail time.  Well Lori, you aren't the judge!!!!!!!  Felicity did raise the bar on this and the ones that plead Not Guilty will have a tough time measuring up and recovering. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who taught kids with LDs for decades, if her daughter had been diagnosed as LD, it would be easy to prove my looking at her transcript. I have never heard of Drs treating LD. There are accommodations allowed by the College Boards...but you have to apply for them and they are not always granted. They are doing away with extra time because it has been abused so much...I think they are doing away with time limits altogether...which is a shame, but when parents abuse the system, everyone pays. Now you can retake the SAT over again to raise your score. When I took it, you had one chance....that was all. If accommodations are granted, the test result will say “ accommodated administration”. Perhaps Huffman didn’t want that on her daughter’s test results.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

As someone who taught kids with LDs for decades, if her daughter had been diagnosed as LD, it would be easy to prove my looking at her transcript. I have never heard of Drs treating LD. There are accommodations allowed by the College Boards...but you have to apply for them and they are not always granted. They are doing away with extra time because it has been abused so much...I think they are doing away with time limits altogether...which is a shame, but when parents abuse the system, everyone pays. Now you can retake the SAT over again to raise your score. When I took it, you had one chance....that was all. If accommodations are granted, the test result will say “ accommodated administration”. Perhaps Huffman didn’t want that on her daughter’s test results.

Back when I took the SAT 1976-1977(?) you could take it multiple times. I only took it once, but a classmate of mine, known as 'Big Eddie' at the time, took it at least three times. He scored just a tick over eight hundred the first time and was very disappointed. He then took an SAT prep course in night school and retook it and scored a bit lower, frustrating him still more. He took another SAT prep course offered at a nearby college and read multiple books on taking the SAT only to score still lower the third time. I honestly feared for his life after he got the third, and what proved to be final SAT scores, as he was very depressed for days afterward. You had to travel to wherever the test was then being administered, but you could take it multiple times.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting development:

Georgetown University has initiated steps to expel two students involved in the admissions scandal, including Adam Semprevivo, whose father pleaded guilty in court several weeks ago.  

Adam, 21 has asked that he be allowed to transfer with all of his credits during the process, but the school has refused.

In response, Adam has filed a civil suit against Georgetown, accusing the school of imposing an "arbitrary, capricious disciplinary process depriving him of his due process by refusing to allow a transfer with all credits intact".  The lawsuit was filed today in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.  He is also seeking to stop disciplinary action against him, including the expulsion.

His father, Stephen, admitted spending $400,000 to have his son recruited to the tennis team.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager, did it mention whether the college has evidence that the boy knew about the transaction?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read that.  They did say they can't discuss pending litigation, but confirmed that expulsion is underway.