Respected Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

Laura Janke who was a coach at USC has plead guilty and has agreed to cooperate.  She was, directly, responsible for passing Lori Loughlin's daughter as a recruited rower for the rowing team, she is directly tied to two others students as a recruited lacrosse player and expert pole vaulter.  She can directly tie the parents into knowing their children were not as claimed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime  I know OT, but I recently noticed your nic here on the board.

Just wondering if you have changed your nic recently? I have had my nic since I started years ago.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@sommertime   It's funny!  No, this has been my screen name since 2010.  It's a play on my last name!

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime Well, you sure have a great nic!

Respected Contributor

@sommertime   You do as well!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@gardenman   I disagree.

Deals are made all the time in cases that could end up with extended jail time and over the top fines.

While we know how much jail time could be imposed these are not hardened criminals.

It does the prosecution no good to drag this out anymore than it does any good for the defendants to not take a plea.

The prosecution is under no obligation to push for the maximum penalty for any of these defendants; I believe it isn't a matter of holes in their case but a matter of getting this done and finished.

If all the lawyers involved thought the cases were weak, no defendants would have taken any pleas.  I believe it's a matter of stepping up, owning your stuff, taking the deal, and moving on.

Or else they all had really carpy lawyers.

@Cakers3, not to mention that the prosecution is looking for more people who might have been involved. While the crowd of those charged is discrete in this case, you never what you might find out by dangling a carrot or two.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Plea Hearings will be held today in Boston for Felicity Huffman and Devin Sloane, each expected to plead guilty to one charge of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Sloane, from Los Angeles, paid Singer $250,000 in part to bribe coach Donna Heinel to have his son recruited as a member of the USC water polo team. 

Honored Contributor

Unless you know there is no case. Unless you know you can't prove the charges you've made. Unless you know you could end up being a laughingstock for trying the case.

Disagree.  The Government wouldn't have even filed initial charges if they didn't feel certain they could prove the allegations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Plea Hearings will be held today in Boston for Felicity Huffman and Devin Sloane, each expected to plead guilty to one charge of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Sloane, from Los Angeles, paid Singer $250,000 in part to bribe coach Donna Heinel to have his son recruited as a member of the USC water polo team. 

I thought FH entered her guilty plea awhile back; no? 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, she has a plea agreement with the prosecutors, but she has to go to court in front of a judge to officially enter the plea and have it approved.  Then, she will be sentenced at a later date.