Occasional Contributor

CHRISTMAS PARTY ATTIRE - POLL

Hello everyone!  My husband and I are hosting a Christmas party for the first time in our new home and as a married couple.  I'd like the guests to dress up in dressy holiday attire.  He thinks it should be more casual and that guests don't like to dress up.  Well, as a woman, I sure love to dress up for the holidays.  I think guests would enjoy getting fancied up too.  What are your thoughts and do you like to get dressed up?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS PARTY ATTIRE - POLL

If the atmopshere of the party is to be upscale and semi-formal then dressing up would be the way to go.

On the other hand if it is a relaxed get together then I side with your DH on dress being more casual.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I don't necessarily like to get dressed up for a party in someone's home. That type of party seems more intimate and friendly than a holiday party at a hotel or restaurant. I would want to be able to wear nice jeans and a "silk" blouse or something dressy on top.  What would you call that?  Dressy casual??

Honored Contributor

@Spinach2 wrote:

Hello everyone!  My husband and I are hosting a Christmas party for the first time in our new home and as a married couple.  I'd like the guests to dress up in dressy holiday attire.  He thinks it should be more casual and that guests don't like to dress up.  Well, as a woman, I sure love to dress up for the holidays.  I think guests would enjoy getting fancied up too.  What are your thoughts and do you like to get dressed up?

@Spinach2

What fun !!!    

I think it depends on how you are entertaining .... will the food be a buffet or a sit down dinner?    If people are going to be eating finger foods from a buffet table, I really  don't think dressing up is the way to go.

Perhaps you can inspire with the invitation ...

Dress:  Festive Attire

and let it go at that.

Honored Contributor

Theme can be HOLIDAY 

which will let people dress as they are comfortable

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It depends on the friends in general. How well do you know them all, to have an idea of how they would enjoy dressing? I don't feel men in general enjoy dressing up for occasions as much as women might - and not all women do, or have the resources to. IMO you need to consider couples, not just wives.

Most couples "must" attend a dressy holiday work party. They may well not want to do two such parties. You would likely be narrowing the number of people who would come. And some may look at the dressy qualification and feel it could turn into a competition of sorts - not a jolly party atmosphere.

But you (presumably) know your potential guests well enough to have a sense of how they might feel, so you would have a better idea how it would be enjoyed.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

First, ASK some of the ladies coming what they would like to do!  Don't give the husbands a response opportunity.

Second, when you send the invitations out describe what kind of party you are having.  Snacks, cocktail party with appetizers. buffet, sit down dinner, etc.  Starting time and perhaps an ending time if it is cocktails, or desserts?  Drop in? I think people are more comfortable if they have details about what you are doing as well as some idea of dress.  

"Come enjoy an evening at our house for the ladies to wear their festive Holiday attire and drinks and hor d'oeuvres from 5p.m. to 7:30 . . . "

Come for a casual dinner of soups and salads around the tree as we get together to celebrate the holidays

Join us for a festive evening around our tree to have fun and let the ladies show off their festive attire!  We'll have a buffet supper and pleanty of desserts and drinks!

A drop in dessert party mid-afternoon is great too, or a Saturday brunch that will allow people to about the rest of their busy day while starting on a happy note at your house!

Occasional Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Spinach2 wrote:

@Spinach2

What fun !!!    

I think it depends on how you are entertaining .... will the food be a buffet or a sit down dinner?    If people are going to be eating finger foods from a buffet table, I really  don't think dressing up is the way to go.

Perhaps you can inspire with the invitation ...

Dress:  Festive Attire

and let it go at that.

Seems to be running in the "not dressy" direction.  I will take your suggestion and put "Festive Attire" and will leave it to the guests to dress as they wish.  It will be a buffet style party so that's probably more appropriate!  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

how about, come dressed up or dressed down, just come and have a great time! no need to impose or "suggest" a desired attire. 

Honored Contributor

We give a big holiday party for friends and family every year and I agree with you and with your husband.  The old time semi-formal or cocktail party attire is over.  People live much more casually now and while we women do indeed love the opportunity to dress up and wear our good jewelry, men don't.  So, my parties are "dressy casual".  I want my guests to enjoy themselves and I don't want anyone feeling that they have get "trussed up" (as hubby calls it) or spend money on something new that they'll never wear again.  The women get as dressed up as they want but the men wear dress slacks with dress shirts.  Some do the jacket/tie thing but most of the guys do not.  The women do wear lots of sparkle and jewelry so I have the festive look I want.