Respected Contributor

CHECK. YOUR SHELVES for LEAKING. PRODUCTS

Recently I was cleaning the shore house guest bathroom which also has a stacking washer and dryer in it.

I started to clean the shelves where the laundry and other liquid products were kept.

What a surprise....over time some of the plastic containers had leaked onto the shelving.  Never realized that this could happen !  Another mess to clean !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: CHECK. YOUR SHELVES for LEAKING. PRODUCTS

It can happen with chemicals for bugs or lawn too.Check your garage storage too.We had a pesticide that leaked and that was a very unpleasant mess.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I imagine that could happen.  In the past, I've used plastic gallon jugs (the kind that water and milk come in) to store fertilzed water for the houseplants. Then one day I discovered one of the jugs had a slow leak.  I read online that those kind of containers weren't made to last a long time - unlike, for example, a Rubbermaid plastic pitcher.  So I stopped using them, or at least storing them someplace where if a leak developed it would be no big deal.

I'd never thought about it happening with laundry detergent.  I'd better keep an eye on my stockpile!

Honored Contributor

I've had this happen recently...good reminder.

Honored Contributor

I had old cans of hairspray that leaked all over a shelf.... nothing lasts forever.

Honored Contributor

Tomato products, especially canned tomato paste, don't keep well due to the acid in them and shouldn't be kept long.  I've had it explode in a cabinet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I put all the laundry things on top of a washcloth. I noticed that some always drips down from the top after pouring so with the washcloth(s) I don't have to worry about it dripping on the shelves.

Or sometimes with something leaky like cooking oil, I put it in an old sock to absorb any leaks.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I've noticed plastic bottles will ocasionally leak at the seam.  I also had a leaky drain cleaner bottle once......yikes!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I make my own cleaning supplies but they still go into plastic spray bottles.  I store them all in a caddy from Casa Bella-easy handle, lift and go where cleaning is needed.

If you are using store bought items I would place a tea towel in the bottom of your caddy just in case there is a reaction to the plastic.

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I use Nellies' laundry poweder often but we do have liquid laundry detergent.  Place either in a bucket or set in a large zip lock back.

Caution:  Keep your yard chemicals outside at all times if possible. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh