Honored Contributor

Re: Buy nothing groups on Facebook

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I’m on my towns Facebook page. We have ‘curb alerts’. People put stuff out to the curb free. First com first serve. Nothing like you have mentioned. It’s always good stuff.

@proudlyfromNJ  Oh, not implying anything was not good....just things I never thought people would offer up or ask for

@SeaMaiden  Well, I would be pretty surprised at a piece of peanut butter cake! Did anyone take it? 

@proudlyfromNJ  Yes!!🙂👍

@SeaMaiden  LOL! 

Honored Contributor

It’s like you say the word “free” and people lose their minds! 

Honored Contributor

I have friends who have a cabin in a resort area.  They had an overstuffed chair they wanted to get rid of but did want to rent a truck to haul down the mountain.  They put a free sign on it and left it beside the road.  When they came back the next weekend it was still there.  My friend put a For Sale sign on the same chair and it was stolen overnight!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have friends who have a cabin in a resort area.  They had an overstuffed chair they wanted to get rid of but did want to rent a truck to haul down the mountain.  They put a free sign on it and left it beside the road.  When they came back the next weekend it was still there.  My friend put a For Sale sign on the same chair and it was stolen overnight!

That does not surprise me at all!

I have a friend who used to own a restaurant.  He had a surplus of something (I can't remember exactly what it was - duck or something similar). So he dropped the price and made it a "special" on the menu.  But it didn't move fast enough, so he upped the price. By a lot.  And it was all gone in one night.  People were much more inclined to pay for it at the higher price because they thought it was more desirable.

It's interesting how the human mind works!

Respected Contributor

I am a member of several buy,sell, trade FB groups. I recently posted some slightly out of date can good for free. I had a taker within 10 min of posting. 

True, you will be surprised at what people give away, & ask for. I've found if you want something gone, either post for free, or set it on the curb. Things are usually picked up shortly after curb side disposal.