Honored Contributor

Buy nothing groups on Facebook

[ Edited ]

Are any of you members of a local group?  I joined and am surprised at what people offer to give away or ask for.

One person  was offering  one slice of leftover peanut butter cake. Sometimes people  clean out their freezer and offer up a whole bunch of goods. ...one person was asking for a few antacid tablets....  enough to get by until payday....several people offered them to her.  It can be anything from clothes, dishes to food or toys.

I guess it fills a purpose. People helping people.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Buy nothing groups on Facebook

I’ve never heard of these. Interesting concept.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I used to be a member of one, but it was affiliated with some National group that changed their rules such that it would end up allowing more spam into the groups so they closed the group down.  I don't remember anything that weird on it though.  

I found it a bit of a pain the one time I posted something though.  People expected you to save things for them and got mad if you didn't, but then they might not show up.  Same thing happens on the buy groups too sometimes.  

It's getting to be dangerous though.  Locally, there was a man killed trying to sell something either in one of these groups or on Craigslist. And there have also been some assaults associated with these groups.  Some places are setting up Safe places for people to go to make their transactions, like the Police Department parking lot.  

Honored Contributor

I’m on my towns Facebook page. We have ‘curb alerts’. People put stuff out to the curb free. First com first serve. Nothing like you have mentioned. It’s always good stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in a local community FB group but people usually ask for rides, recommendations for veterinarians, selling the odd piece of furniture.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ I posted something for curb pickup once and someone still got mad that I didn't save it for them because they had to come from a farther distance.  Some people just don't accept curb pickup as being first come, first served.  They feel like if they respond to your post that they want it that you should save it for them (whether they end up showing up or not).

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ I posted something for curb pickup once and someone still got mad that I didn't save it for them because they had to come from a farther distance.  Some people just don't accept curb pickup as being first come, first served.  They feel like if they respond to your post that they want it that you should save it for them (whether they end up showing up or not).

@Icegoddess Yes, I can see that happening. My town is pretty small and their FB page is private. You have to ask to join. A lot of the people know each other. 

I notice some when posting a curb alert, emphasize No Holds. Our moderators are pretty strict.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I’m on my towns Facebook page. We have ‘curb alerts’. People put stuff out to the curb free. First com first serve. Nothing like you have mentioned. It’s always good stuff.

@proudlyfromNJ  Oh, not implying anything was not good....just things I never thought people would offer up or ask for

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Oh, not implying anything was not good....just things I never thought people would offer up or ask for

@SeaMaiden  Well, I would be pretty surprised at a piece of peanut butter cake! Did anyone take it? 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Well, I would be pretty surprised at a piece of peanut butter cake! Did anyone take it? 

@proudlyfromNJ  Yes!!🙂👍