Esteemed Contributor

It's awful, that's for sure.  Even good, long time customers wait when the calls for service are this extensive.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

WHEW!!!!  A bit of testiness on this thread!

I live in Pennsylvania, and we are always much colder than Texas, the Carolinas and California.

However, we know how to build houses for four seasons of weather.

Pipes are bursting not just due to the freeze, but because where the pipes are located in the house walls, and because people did not properly close them and drain them once the cold set in. 

The lack of warmth in the house is also an issue that occurs here in PA, especially in more rural areas. (A tree falls in the woods and one's electricity could be out for a week.) Many people know to chop wood for the fireplace and keep a supply, or purchase gas generators.  

I hope the Texas energy grid can restart soon, and be improved for future potential cold snaps, if the leaders have the will and the commitment.

I am very happy in my 124 year old house that was built before electricity was even used! 

Keeping all in my thoughts to stay healthy and hopefully, warm.

Occasional Contributor

Texas is granting provisional plumbing licenses to those who are already licensed in other states. The state is brining in plumbers from everywhere to try and help with the aftermath of this awful storm. I am praying we won't be needing one of the plumbers!

Honored Contributor

Evertime Texas has a major freeze, scammers decend on the state to do "repairs".  There are not enough workers locally to do all the work.  People are not careful who they hire and get scammed out of their money.  The attorney general will be very busy.  It'll be a sad situation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I thought I heard on the news that Texas has it own power grid because when the states joined together they did not want to meet federal government guidelines.  Does anyone know if that is true?  

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

So sorry to hear that.  We're in very cold temperatures too.  I just keep the termostat set to 70 and keep it there.  Now, we have two more in the structure so I keep those on 65 or 60 the lowest.

The temperature sometimes does get severe by us but just not now.  It's hanging in the low 30s.  Yesterday it was in the 40s.  Crazy.

I think in places like Texas  and points south, they're not used to this kind of thing.

Hope it gets rectified quickly.

@77yangya 

You misunderstood.

*I*  do not have any busted water pipes.

live in California.

But other people who do live where it has been terribly cold are    experiencing busted pipes, and THAT is where the plumbers will be making money.

Her reply in no way makes it seem like she was misunderstanding. She is talking in general, not at all TO YOU. 

You seem to be the one that misunderstood @Anonymous032819 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't understand the need for every sentence to be it's own paragraph and for the 3-5 spaces between each sentence.

Those posts end up unnecessarily long.

I think she does it to purposely annoy people.

I'm sorry if my writing style annoys.

I thought that it would be easier to read.

I now know to write one long paragraph from now on.

Happy?

I live in California.

It kind of shows........

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio :  I lived in High Desert (Ridgecrest/China Lake) for 25 yrs and guess what? The temperature dropped unusually low one December and our pipes froze, burst and insurance ended up paying $45,000 to fix our problem. So, yes, it happens in California and not just in the mountains!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't understand the need for every sentence to be it's own paragraph and for the 3-5 spaces between each sentence.

Those posts end up unnecessarily long.

I think she does it to purposely annoy people.

I'm sorry if my writing style annoys.

I thought that it would be easier to read.

I now know to write one long paragraph from now on.

Happy?

I live in California.

It kind of shows........

@Mominohio 

Then from here on out there shouldn't be any question as to where I live, should there?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

In Oklahoma it is breaking records from more than 100 years ago.  And I read that something like 72 percent of the lower 48 has snow cover. 

This is truly a catastrophic event that is in many places unprecedented.  

Some places don't build storm shelters, some have basements and some don't because of the geology, some don't even have air conditioners--which I cannot comprehend!  LOL!!!!  

Most houses are built on slabs now and don't have basements because clay layers found in some areas here would simply pull it apart.  

And other people live on land built into watery areas.  This all fascinates me.