Honored Contributor

Re: Building on every plot of land

Same story here in southern WV.   My area is apparently getting a new bank as well; it's already under roof, but no idea what company as yet.  

This small town already has 7 banks; 5 within 2 city blocks of each other!   We only have 4 pharmacies, 2 chain and 2 private owned grocery stores.   

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@drizzellla 

Sounds like a good thing to me. Many cities have lots with empty businesses doing nothing. Companies don't using start constructing business buildings unless they think the will be profitable to them, and the communities, where they are being built.

I would be much happier seeing this happening than buildings being boarded up. In the last year think how many businesses once thriving are now out of business.

hckynut 

Yes, I agree with you. But they are not moving into vacant restaurants that have gone out of business or retail stores that have closed (Pier I, A.C. Moore, Michael's). They are building these new businesses on open space.
There are plenty of businesses that closed in the past year and those buildings are all empty. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia Not sure if this is the case for you but many states that eliminate sales tax, make up for it in higher property taxes,

Unfortunately, @chessylady, no.  We pay 5.3% sales tax as well.  Nice area, though, and I grew up here so it's familiar.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Ever sine I can remember I have not been a fan of the greed of developers and the politicians who also profit.  Planning boards consist of people with special interests who are in the building field so naturally developing every piece of land is money in their pockets.  I have seen over the years open space being gobbled up by buildings which are never fully occupied, businesses which come and go, and homes which crowd together.  

I am well aware that progress calls for building and people need housing.  But there is much corruption in the business of construction and that is the problem.  Where there is money to be made, people in power don't care about space or slipshod construction.  I have witnessed that for many years and heard it from those in the business.  To all those honest workers, my apologies, they do exist.

Esteemed Contributor

I share your concerns. I've lived for 34 years in a metro suburb that makes the 'liveable city' list with awards for quaint, historic downtown. Low unemployment and at one time, affordable housing. This city keeps me in my state that has extreme weather and strange politicians. The 5 lakes and plentiful land have been a joy when I take a ride in the 'country.' But we're spreading into other towns now. From 1 high school to 3 over-crowded high schools. Where there's a CVS we'll find a Walgreens nearby and Sonic and Subway at every corner. With so much online banking - why so many banks? Lots of car washes popping up, too. Hubs says the market corrects itself. Thankfully, a positive is a lot of well-equipped parks, even dog walk parks. I guess it's progress.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee If someone told me I had to move out of my geographical area -- I'd go to Colorado Springs. But first choice is Maui -- you live in a really cool city. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut You are correct, sir. Thank you for taking us to the sunny side of the street.  

Frequent Contributor

Not sure it's just me, but I'm curious as to what state the posters live in as I have no clue where anyone lives.    I'm interested in knowing where this growth is happening.   I live in a close-in suburb of NYC so there has been very little open land around here for a long time.

The US population has increased by 100,000,000 just in the last 30 years, the bulk of it made up by immigration.   For me, I'd be happier with slower population growth.

The growth in 10 years in the area of Colorado Springs by 250,000, yikes, way too many people.  

Trusted Contributor

Same thing in my city. If there is a plot of land, up come apartments or a housing development.

Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

In my area, it seems like every new business is a mattress store.  I already know of 5 mattress stores and just saw another one open up.  With just 67,000 people, how many mattresses can they be selling????

As the OP mentioned, every plot of land is being used up with housing developments, condos, townhouses, etc.  Pretty soon not a blade of grass will be found inside the city limits!

Funny about the mattress stores...You could stand in the parking lot and see another mattress store that is the same company.  It is not something you buy every few months or even years.  I feel my states motto should be no more trees...One housing project after another. Ugly cheaply built tract housing with no trees but very  expensive.  I don't know how people afford them.  I do not see any hardship where I live.  New cars, new homes, packed restaurants, constant traffic...