Esteemed Contributor

Re: Building on every plot of land

Three  towns  abt 30 mins from me  are  the same housing developments and shopping centers everywhere. Two towns in Maryland  that  are close for  communting to work at many Federal agencies  and the other in WV where  all the retirees are moving due to lower taxes  Where I live  new building  is limited to atleast 3 acre lots . So many are selling their farms .

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia Not sure if this is the case for you but many states that eliminate sales tax, make up for it in higher property taxes,

Honored Contributor

A lot of the money comes from govt. programs for specific small business.  I know because a distant relative has a piece of the pie in a lot of small businesses of specific ownership.

They are small businesses, but the building and expansion comes from money through mandated subcontracts to these small business, which supply some building materials, office workers to bookkeeping and such, and labor for building.  And it adds a LOT to the cost, but the money rolls in and is basically mandated.

Respected Contributor

There is a lot of building/consruction in my area.  Too much.  An Arby's and a Tire Discount Store pretty close to each other both closed.  But les than 2 miles down the road, they built a new Arby's and is now building a new tire store right next to it.  An office or store front building was just recently completed.  Couldn't be in a worse spot.  Can't access it from main road.  Have to get in from behind, that's that only way in or out and it's a one way road.  There's very little if any parking but that doesn't matter, it remains empty.  Buffalos Wild Wings closed down and moved across town so that's sitting there empty.  There were so many stores fronts sitting empty pre-pandemic and they're just everywhere.  I think the empty buildings should be utilized before a new one is built.  

Honored Contributor

I live in Colorado Springs. City and county officials are already making plans for 250,000 more people to move to this area within the next ten years. The construction around here is unbelievable...homes, retail, business....you name it.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

Sounds like a good thing to me. Many cities have lots with empty businesses doing nothing. Companies don't using start constructing business buildings unless they think the will be profitable to them, and the communities, where they are being built.

I would be much happier seeing this happening than buildings being boarded up. In the last year think how many businesses once thriving are now out of business.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I live in a small township neighboring a small town & it's  the same here...office buildings are going up by the dozens while those that are a few years old & older set empty. Highend single homes & subdivisions are going gangbusters on former farmland & heavily treed areas are being clear cut too...it has to be easy money & tax incentives that's driving it. I hate what's  happening, the country should stay the country...people move here from the city- suburbs for the peace & quiet, then they want to change it into what they left & once they do they move on to start the process again.  

Respected Contributor

I'm surrounded by banks, fast food and  shopping centers. And to make matters worse, also, huge warehouse distribution centers. This used to be open spaces/farm land but no longer. When the leaves drop in the fall, there's this very large warehouse just looming one field over.  Hope they don't fill up that empty field. These roads are secondary and aren't made for this heavy traffic. Too bad our elected officials just let this place fill up with these monstrosities.

Honored Contributor

We are going to have a huge influx of people, so businesses are getting ready for the coming years.  That's obvious. 

Esteemed Contributor

My town is historical. Not far from town there are huge apartments that are being built. The entrance is on a Main Street with several traffic lights, there will be hundreds of more cars jamming the newly finished streets. 
  I'll avoid the area and stores there.