Honored Contributor

I just read that Broadway will not open until at least Labor Day, and possibly not until January 1.

I suppose it doesn't make sense to reopen before that, even if it is said to be safe, with fewer people in the audience and social distancing inside. You would still have the actors to keep safe, which would be hard to do when they are all on stage together.

I wonder what it will be like when they DO reopen. Tickets to some shows were pretty hard to get before this. I can only imagine what it will be like after it is safe to go there. 

I've only been to a few Broadway plays, but I know there are posters here who frequent them. I guess it's like a movie theater for me. I miss sitting in that big room watching a feature film. I'm sure Broadway devotees miss going to shows. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I attend Broadway shows at least 6 times a year. I will miss it terribly. The seats are extremely close together. If you get a heavy person next to you it feels as if they are sitting in your lap. If Broadway were to open they would have to leave about 6 seats empty between people. And how about the actors on the stage? Can’t do it now. Until there is a vaccine live performances might be gone.

Honored Contributor

I'm not in NYC but locally we miss the symphony and the Broadway shows on tour in our city.

Some of our favorite singers/bands were scheduled to play here, too.

Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

We are huge Broadway fans.  I would be very surprised if Broadway reopens this year.  We had tickets for the new shows Six and Company for the beginning of April.  Obviously both were canceled and refunded.  Patti Lupone has said she has no idea what will happen with Company going forward.  The next show we have tickets for is The Music Man with Hugh Jackman in October.  I'm sure that won't happen either.  That show already had HUGE ticket sales.  We got our tickets the first day they were available and it was the first time I have ever been put in a "waiting room" on Telecharge to buy tickets.  The Broadway closure has been such a tremendous financial hit to NYC.  Unfortunately -- one of many.  Very sad.

Respected Contributor

I'm not in NY but our city has a very nice theater district.  I have season tickets for the touring Broadway plays.  We recieved an email saying the season has been suspended until 2021

Honored Contributor

I always looked forward to the Tonys every June. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a really sad reality.  Live is wonderful.  I tend more to music, but that is so different when just a recording too.

Valued Contributor

more then half of the broadway shows say they will not be back at all.

think of all the actors out of work now.

Respected Contributor

I miss going to Broadway shows immensely. I usually go at least once a month, sometimes more. I also go to many concerts and  miss them as well. I've found that The site Broadway.com has many shows and many musicians are streaming live concerts. Not quite as good as being there, but an acceptable substitute in the meantime.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

we have already missed 3 or 4 broadway across america shows this year.

we have already paid for our 2020/2021 seats.

so far no word on the rest of this year.......they seem to be taking it one show at a time.

it wont surprise me though if it does not reopen until january.

we are in a very old, but renovated theater and yes, the seats are not that large and all jammed in together.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein