Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The absolute devastation of this to the economy is unfathomable.  Think from top to bottom, the jobs lost not only to the staff of the actual production but the employees at the various venues, the restaurants,the hotels, the transportation services and on down the line.    

It is all due to the virus.  The economy was good until the virus hit and what had to be done was done.

Imagine Times Square and the ball dropping without people!!!!!!!

@chiclets, I know. We have an awesome theatre district here in Cleveland as well and everything is canceled.  It's almost eerie to be downtown anymore.   

Honored Contributor

@Lali1  Agree with you completely.  IMO the majority of the people on these forums are retired and/or at "high risk."  While I understand their concern, I feel for people who need to work--that is their lives too--and need to educate their children.  This "lockdown" cannot go on indefinitely.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Lali1  Agree with you completely.  IMO the majority of the people on these forums are retired and/or at "high risk."  While I understand their concern, I feel for people who need to work--that is their lives too--and need to educate their children.  This "lockdown" cannot go on indefinitely.

You are so right. It just can't. Many people will lose everything they have worked so hard for. Many already have in just a few months. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Broadway closed...

[ Edited ]

I am one of those who deeply feels both sides of this conflict: (1) Open and forge ahead to give a threatened economy a chance to recover and (2) Stay closed because losing people to this novel coronavirus is not worth the gamble.

Stuck understanding both sides, I worry about the future of not only the economy of our nation but also that of the world.

I cannot help but think of the Greek word hubris in all this.  Hubris means "excessive pride," for those who might not know the word.  It seems to me that all sorts of safety nets for the vulnerable in our country were scuttled to allow for huge tax cuts for the wealthy.  In turn, many of those wealthy, heads of large companies, hired more people and the economy was steaming along.

And then, out of the blue, comes this horrific virus that brings the economy to a screeching halt, imperiling many of us.  Few will escape the damage done by the necessary closures.

Almost as though a wrathful god decided what was done to the innocent (taking away their few benefits) was not to be forgiven and now all of us suffer for the over-weening ego of one. 

ETA:  I read that the Broadway League has reported that 87,000 positions are affected by the closing down of the theater district.  This number does not include those who work in hotels, restaurants, etc., and other ancillary industries that contribute to a stay in NYC.