Honored Contributor

The absolute devastation of this to the economy is unfathomable.  Think from top to bottom, the jobs lost not only to the staff of the actual production but the employees at the various venues, the restaurants,the hotels, the transportation services and on down the line.    

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

So so sad. I was so looking forward to seeing Hugh Jackman. I understand this closing as the seats could not be any closer to the person next to you in most theaters. Not to mention the actors on stage so very close to each other.  

I also had tickets. I've heard the show has been postponed to April 2021. Not sure what they're doing about tickets.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Broadway closed...

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The absolute devastation of this to the economy is unfathomable.  Think from top to bottom, the jobs lost not only to the staff of the actual production but the employees at the various venues, the restaurants,the hotels, the transportation services and on down the line.    

Absolutely agree!!  The effect on the economy of NYC will be enormous.  I can't imagine how life will be a year from now.  Even if an "effective" vaccine is developed, how many people will want to sit so close to one another in those theaters from the 1930s and '40s.  It is heartbreaking to me a born and bred New York City person.

Life, as we knew it, is over.

Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Janey2   Did you have tickets already for The Music Man?  We had tickets for October and last week they were changed to May.  All ticket holders were assigned a new date.  Same day of the week -- same seats.  Who knows it it will really happen or if we will want to go if it does -- but I thought that was a good way of handling the situation for now.

Thank you, I answered before reading the whole thread.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It is all due to the virus.  The economy was good until the virus hit and what had to be done was done.

Imagine Times Square and the ball dropping without people!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   Totally agree!  We are back to work but it's really slow.  Our customers are sure not ready to replenish their stock so we sit and wait, and wait for something to be ordered.

We got a real shock when we applied for assistance from the state.  It is pitiful..I have called both my state representative and state senator to talk to them about it and how the state came up with the amount each business should receive.  Of course they had no idea but promised me they would check into it.  It does not even cover our monthly rent.

Respected Contributor
@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   Totally agree!  We are back to work but it's really slow.  Our customers are sure not ready to replenish their stock so we sit and wait, and wait for something to be ordered.

We got a real shock when we applied for assistance from the state.  It is pitiful..I have called both my state representative and state senator to talk to them about it and how the state came up with the amount each business should receive.  Of course they had no idea but promised me they would check into it.  It does not even cover our monthly rent.

There are moments when I actually think the repercussions of this virus are as bad and just as harmful as the virus.

Your business is your  survival. You have little if any control over what is happening. Sometimes you have to be annoying and push and push for answers. I do not know what you do but if it is something you could show on YouTube or anywhere that could be used promote your product. I am trying to think of anything that could help someone, and others in your position, an outlet for their product. Being self employed is no easy matter.  Sincerely I wish the best for you in the days ahead.

Honored Contributor

we have season tickets for the touring broadway productions that come to baltimore. we are paid through the 2021 season. each time a  show is coming up i get a "postponed" or "cancelled" email. they ask if we want to donate our money or get a refund. this is disappointing for sure, looking at it from all sides......the performers/cast/crew, the employees of the theater here, and for us. our theater is old and yes, the seats are very close together.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@chiclets ....our work is nothing that we could sell on line...postage/shipping would be a huge issue, but I do appreciate your advice.  

I guess we will not know the true harm done to our business until the end of the year, and at that time we will decide what to do about keeping the doors open.  

We track our work month to month, June was dismal, (that is work we did and billed in May) and we were not expecting much, so we were not surprised.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I sincerely hope at another time and day you will receive a good surprise.