Esteemed Contributor

Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

[ Edited ]

This morning The Broadway League announced that theaters will remain dark through at least  May 30, 2021, the latest extension of reopening plans.

Broadway employs about 97,000 workers and contributes an estimated $15 billion annually to the NYC economy. 

The League also announced that Tony nominations and a virtual awards show will go on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

[ Edited ]

I love theater. I can't wait to return when it is safe for me to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

What a shame Smiley Sad   No Christmas plays this year.   I'm praying this is all behind us next year and we can get back to those things we have taken for granted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brilliant, so they're going to present awards for plays when virtually no one has seen plays performed in months and months. That makes a whole lot of sense. The 2020 awards were 'postponed'. and the theaters themselves shut down in March of this year and will remain shut down until May of next year. Awards seem utterly superfluous at this point not even to mention that virtual awards shows have proven to be an incredibly big snore. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

This is very depressing.I love the theater.My son gave us a  gift certificate last Christmas to see two plays of our choice. I don't know when we will be going again. Even when they open I don't know how safe it will be to go.😢

Honored Contributor

TRe: Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

This has been so difficult for so many people.  For those of us who love the theater and go often, it is sad to see Broadway shut down.  More so for all those employed by the theater, and that includes everyone not just the actors, it is devastating.  

With that being said, it is better to be safe than sorry and if this must be to protect the health and well being of people, it must continue.  Until this pandemic is gone we will sadly face these situations and hope sooner than later we return to some sense of normalcy.

Honored Contributor

Re: TRe: Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

It's really disheartening.  This affects so many people.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

With the Met Opera and now Broadway closed until at least next summer--and I wouldn't count on openings then--the economic effect is unimaginable.   What a nightmare!!

Respected Contributor

Understandable but so sad! We usually go to the theatre 1-2 a month. Really missing it!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: TRe: Broadway Remaining Dark Extension

That's terrible news.  In my car I often listen to "Seth Says".

He plays songs from Broadway shows, past and present.

If I'm having a bad day, it lightens my heart.  He's made me understand how many people are employed from these shows.

The entertainment industry has taken unbelievable shots due to this @#$% virus.  The people on broadway entertain us, educate us and....at least....for a little while we can escape all of the angst going on in the world.

Their jobs are like someone walking a tight rope in that they could disappear in no time.  Now that this @#$% has hit them, for many there will be no 'coming back' from it.

Often the very same people who entertain us are the same people who are more sensitive.  I picture many of them like a child walking up to someone saying, "You like me...right?"

I'm not dismissing the feelings of the rest of us; but I am saying it would be a lot more difficult for these broadway entertainers to move into another field to provide for themselves and their families.

So sad........Smiley Sad