Honored Contributor

Re: Britney Spears Unloads at Today's Hearing!

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

I don't know if Britney's dad is on the up and up, or if he's manipulating the situation for his own benefit. It's possible.

But, it's been clear that Britney suffers from Bipolar and has been resistant to medication, which is VERY common. When on a manic high, people don't want to stop it and will resist anyone's efforts to do so. You'll often hear them spewing grandiosity about how competent they are and how much more creative they are without meds, when they are falling into mental chaos. Impulse control goes by the wayside.

That said, I worked with a team trying to fulfill safe treatment plans for Bipolar patients for many years. Even with a team of dedicated members and solid family involvement, I have stories I could tell that no one would believe. I also think often of some of the people we lost, either through reckless accidents, or while coming down into a depressive state, through suicide. 

Someone needs to watch over Britney. Maybe dad isn't the right person, but anyone taking this job will be ridiculed by Britney for being controlling, and by those on the outside who might not get it, screaming 'free Britney'. It's very difficult to manage for many patients with serious Bipolar illness.

@BlueFinch So it's actually normal for a bipolar patient to be forced to work? 

Seems Britney didn't want to work in LV for the 4 years.  I'm guessing, too, that there were probably other engagements she didn't want to do, either.

So if she was self-sufficient/self-supporting, would a patient be forced to be employed?

Do the medical team members get to choose who a person can come in contact with as far as friends or lovers in these situations?

I guess I should ask you first, if all or most or some or few or none of the bipolar patients you're familiar with, have or need a conservatory to oversee them like Britney does.

I honestly never heard of these before this case with Britney came up.

In all, since this is concerning a health issue, it's saddens me that the world gets to sit back and be  voyeurs looking into her very personal challenges she faces dealing with mental illness.  Seems HIPPA laws go by the wayside.  

And I hope no one posts that since she's a public figure, she chose to give up all her privacy, including her mental health struggles .  That's bull.

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Britney doesn't look well.  She looks completely stressed out, and much older than her 39 years. I wonder how her sons are? 

I'd bet her father is concerned that she is hooking up with another guy that is just out to use her for financial gain.  She'll have his baby and then they'll split up and she'll be paying him for the next 20 years.  She hasn't made very good choices but its her life.

@jellyBEAN 

I hear you. She has not in the past made good decisions. However, she is almost 40 years old. It's not for her father or family members to decide how she lives. 

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm We really don't know if Britney was forced to work or not.  That is what she is saying now, but her current perception may be different from the reality of the situation. 

I have an adult bipolar child.  At times, her perception of past events is completely different from mine.  I'm not saying that Britney or my daughter are lying.  In the case of my daughter, she completely believes what she is saying at the time.  After hashing it out, we are usually able to come to a mutual understanding.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Britney doesn't look well.  She looks completely stressed out, and much older than her 39 years. I wonder how her sons are? 

I'd bet her father is concerned that she is hooking up with another guy that is just out to use her for financial gain.  She'll have his baby and then they'll split up and she'll be paying him for the next 20 years.  She hasn't made very good choices but its her life.

@jellyBEAN 

I hear you. She has not in the past made good decisions. However, she is almost 40 years old. It's not for her father or family members to decide how she lives. 

It is if she is ill.  I read that Kim K tried so hard to help Kanye, however it is very difficult to help adults if they refuse medication or refuse help.  I know people have rights but laws need to be changed so people who are not in their right mind can be helped. People really forget how out of control Britney was. Who knows what might have happened if dad had not stepped in.  

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Yes, she was given lithium.  By whose order, however?

It's not the first time someone has been medicated without consent.

And sometimes, if a young person feels overwhelmed and taken advantage of, s(he) can have a temporary breakdown or just "go wild".  We've seen it enough with other examples over the past few years in the entertainment world, but they eventually sort themselves out (or "grow up").  But she seems to have fallen under the complete control of her father and it spiraled downward from there.

As we've said, let's see how this plays out.  Nothing else to be said until the judge decides.

She was spiraling down before dad stepped in. This is why he stepped in. After seeing her on TV eveyday doing something harmful or just strange made the family step in.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

It is if she is ill.  I read that Kim K tried so hard to help Kanye, however it is very difficult to help adults if they refuse medication or refuse help.  I know people have rights but laws need to be changed so people who are not in their right mind can be helped. People really forget how out of control Britney was. Who knows what might have happened if dad had not stepped in.  

She was so out of control she shaved her head and got high and had sex!!!  Honestly, this is really common behavior.  Should everyone who makes a bad decision lose all rights and control of their life, and become a slave to their parents?

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

She was so out of control she shaved her head and got high and had sex!!!  Honestly, this is really common behavior.  Should everyone who makes a bad decision lose all rights and control of their life, and become a slave to their parents?

She bashed a car with a baseball bat or something like that.  If you consider that normal i'm not sure what to think.  Go back and look at some of the stuff.  Its not a bad thing to have a mental illness some people need to be monitored.  Its just protecting them.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

I don't know if Britney's dad is on the up and up, or if he's manipulating the situation for his own benefit. It's possible.

But, it's been clear that Britney suffers from Bipolar and has been resistant to medication, which is VERY common. When on a manic high, people don't want to stop it and will resist anyone's efforts to do so. You'll often hear them spewing grandiosity about how competent they are and how much more creative they are without meds, when they are falling into mental chaos. Impulse control goes by the wayside.

That said, I worked with a team trying to fulfill safe treatment plans for Bipolar patients for many years. Even with a team of dedicated members and solid family involvement, I have stories I could tell that no one would believe. I also think often of some of the people we lost, either through reckless accidents, or while coming down into a depressive state, through suicide. 

Someone needs to watch over Britney. Maybe dad isn't the right person, but anyone taking this job will be ridiculed by Britney for being controlling, and by those on the outside who might not get it, screaming 'free Britney'. It's very difficult to manage for many patients with serious Bipolar illness.

@BlueFinch So it's actually normal for a bipolar patient to be forced to work? 

Seems Britney didn't want to work in LV for the 4 years.  I'm guessing, too, that there were probably other engagements she didn't want to do, either.

So if she was self-sufficient/self-supporting, would a patient be forced to be employed?

Do the medical team members get to choose who a person can come in contact with as far as friends or lovers in these situations?

I guess I should ask you first, if all or most or some or few or none of the bipolar patients you're familiar with, have or need a conservatory to oversee them like Britney does.

I honestly never heard of these before this case with Britney came up.

In all, since this is concerning a health issue, it's saddens me that the world gets to sit back and be  voyeurs looking into her very personal challenges she faces dealing with mental illness.  Seems HIPPA laws go by the wayside.  

And I hope no one posts that since she's a public figure, she chose to give up all her privacy, including her mental health struggles .  That's bull.

@Lucky Charm  This is a very complicated stuation. I'm not sure I buy all of Britney's complaints, since 'control' issues are paramount with Bipolar patients.

There are likely truths and lies coming from both sides. For example, Brit may relish performing when she's feeling her best, but not at other times, but that's not how contracts are made. There is importance in staying functional and maintaining routines whenever possible. 

And, yes, some families we worked with had to guard their family member from hanging out with those who would complicate safe care. Even someone hypomanic, will have challenged impulse control.

Med compliance was always a primary issue.  In serious cases, I did see court mandated medications. Some had to be detained involuntarily through a serious manic episode to prevent them from harming themselves, or someone else. 

In fact, I also have a friend with Bipolar, with frequent manic episodes. She is unbelievably smart, beautiful and has a group of family and friends to support her. She has a high profile job, too. But through reckless behaviors, she has nearly died several times. We all worry that one day she won't make it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

She bashed a car with a baseball bat or something like that.  If you consider that normal i'm not sure what to think.  Go back and look at some of the stuff.  Its not a bad thing to have a mental illness some people need to be monitored.  Its just protecting them.

@sunshine 919  I have posted elsewhere in this thread, but maybe you didn't read that and just wanted to insult me.

She needs some help, she doesn't need someone controllling every aspect of her life and having her pay for it, and forcing her to work.  I was just watching the news, her executor dad was an alcoholic who went bankrupt several times.  So much better to live off your daughter that you force to work!

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@sunshine 919  I have posted elsewhere in this thread, but maybe you didn't read that and just wanted to insult me.

She needs some help, she doesn't need someone controllling every aspect of her life and having her pay for it, and forcing her to work.  I was just watching the news, her executor dad was an alcoholic who went bankrupt several times.  So much better to live off your daughter that you force to work!

She is under conservatorship because she is worth 60 million dollars and mom and dad don't want anything to happen to that moola. Her parents have prevented her from marrying or having children (tho she does have kids from her marriage to Kevin Federline).  She is forced to work because someone else contracts her to do so, regardless of what she wants. She has strangers in her house all the time, testing her blood, providing therapy, making sure she takes her meds. There are many bi-polar people who are handling their own affairs, tho most aren't sitting on a multimillion dollar golden egg.