Respected Contributor

Interesting reactions. Just yesterday when I was coming home from picking up an Oster oven, an area I traveled through smelled just like ham. It was wonderful. I have no idea what created the odor, since there are no food processing plants in that location.

So when I came across this mask drawing today, it seemed serendipitous. I'd just like to smell the mask and see if it really captures the scent of bacon.

I think I'd have better luck here with the ubiquitous pumpkin spice smell. Not a fan myself, but people here seem to love it. How about a pumpkin spice mask?

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Interesting reactions. Just yesterday when I was coming home from picking up an Oster oven, an area I traveled through smelled just like ham. It was wonderful. I have no idea what created the odor, since there are no food processing plants in that location.

So when I came across this mask drawing today, it seemed serendipitous. I'd just like to smell the mask and see if it really captures the scent of bacon.

I think I'd have better luck here with the ubiquitous pumpkin spice smell. Not a fan myself, but people here seem to love it. How about a pumpkin spice mask?

@noodleann This may be just me, but we are talking about a pandemic where people are sick and dying, losing jobs and suffering.  

It seems somehow offensive to me to make a happy fun thing out of it.  It seems to trivialize the whole issue.

My opinion only, and an opinion, nothing against people who do not feel as I do. 

Respected Contributor

I love it! Bacon could motivate me to do almost anything!

Respected Contributor

Re: Breathable Bacon Mask

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

I cannot imagine what type of artficial ingredient(s) is used to create a "bacon scent". 

It would appear to me you would be inhaling whatever they use to create the scent.

Sorry this would not be for me no matter what artificial scent is used.

Those who like this-enjoy.

Oh who cares if there are some aritifcial ingredients--as long as they make the mask smell like BACON, it's worth it! haha...can you tell I like BACON?? Now I'm sure I'm going to have a BLT for lunchWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think a bacon mask is simply disgusting and somehow offensive. 

Why? why would you be "offended" by something you're not forced to do or wear, etc. (Unless your religion forbids the use of pork...but even in that case all you have to do is avoid people wearing bacon-masks)

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Why? why would you be "offended" by something you're not forced to do or wear, etc. (Unless your religion forbids the use of pork...but even in that case all you have to do is avoid people wearing bacon-masks)

@GoneButNotForgotten You asked.

Because to me it is making light of something that is sickening and killing people.  It trivializes a very serious issue.  It isn't fun or happy or silly.  It is a lack of empathy for others.

A lot of people have moms and dads in nursing homes who will die alone and who maybe they will never see again and haven't seen for almost a year.  So yes, to some people it is offensive.  It is making a joke about a lot of anguish and suffering. 

Honored Contributor

Is this a joke??

Honored Contributor

I love the education aspect of it, encouraging people to wear their masks properly over their noses. But I'll pass on any kind of scented mask, let alone a meat one. 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann This may be just me, but we are talking about a pandemic where people are sick and dying, losing jobs and suffering.  

It seems somehow offensive to me to make a happy fun thing out of it.  It seems to trivialize the whole issue.

My opinion only, and an opinion, nothing against people who do not feel as I do. 

@Sooner, Yep, it's just your opinion, and it's totally inappropriate on this thread. Making a "happy fun thing" out of wearing a mask is POSITIVE, duh, but if you're hellbent on finding fault, flail away. It's a ridiculous overreaction and completely wrongheaded.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten You asked.

Because to me it is making light of something that is sickening and killing people.  It trivializes a very serious issue.  It isn't fun or happy or silly.  It is a lack of empathy for others.

A lot of people have moms and dads in nursing homes who will die alone and who maybe they will never see again and haven't seen for almost a year.  So yes, to some people it is offensive.  It is making a joke about a lot of anguish and suffering. 

There are all sorts of fun and frivolous mask designs out there. It's not making fun of Covid or suffering. It's trying to make an annoying necessity of daily life into something a little more interesting and pleasant. Some folks are using their masks as an accessory to express themselves and I think that's nice.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr